Are mobile games revenues real?

Started by
5 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 6 months ago
Hi to everybody. I need your ideas for a problem. Please help about it.
I want to develop a mobile game and my practices are already started. I am spending to much time for this job.
I examined Google play top grossing list. Most of the games in this list designed professionally by corporations so there is a team behind of these games. Also there are a few games designed by just one person and I think a person can finish this kind of game in 1-2 years. For example traffic racer. Here is video of it.
Also there are a few web sites which estimating revenu of mobile games. For example thinkgaming.com.
I could not find daily revenue of traffic racer in thinkgamig but daily revenue of hill climb racing is around 10000 dollar. Hill climb racin is at the 126 grade in the list and traffic racer is at 134.
My assumption is this: There is 8 grade difference between hill climb and traffic racer. So let say traffic racer's revenue is 5000 dolar per day. Another thing thinkgamin is just giving you estimation, so revenues are not exact amount, but at least they are doing this job professionally. Let say thinkgaming is %50 wrong in their estimation. In conclusion traffic racer making 2500 dollar daily revenue. In a month, it is 75000 dollars.
Here is my question and contradiction: Is this job that much profitable, if yes why everybody do not starting to develop that kind of middle quality games.
Thanks for your helps.
Advertisement

The revenue numbers are probably reasonably accurate.

I think the part you are missing in your calculation is how hard it actually is to reach that rank on the list.

Many many people try, only a few make it up there. (There are literally hundreds of releases _each_day_)

This page lists new applications submitted to the app store, determined by the release date of the apps.

It tells us that 10,300 new apps were submitted last month; an average of 1,187 per day.

As Olof points out above, it's extremely difficult for any individual app to actually reach the sort of ranking you describe, and even harder for them to maintain such a ranking for a prolonged period. Most developers make little or no money, whilst a small percentage manage to earn a living.

You might also be interested in this detailed response to a recent similar question, which sheds some further light on the situation.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think the part you are missing in your calculation is how hard it actually is to reach that rank on the list.

- Yes, routine application what is not in any way on the top of the popularity, do not pay for self and not recouped, that has been attempt to test.

wacko.png

(c) 2000 by "vvv2".

This is a great post that pulls together lots of app store sales figures: http://thegamebakers.com/money-and-the-app-store-a-few-figures-that-might-help-an-indie-developer.html

I've heard that google play revenues are usually around 15%-30% of App Store revenues (although it varies a lot according to your revenue model).

Don't just look at the charts when you're trying to find out how much you'll earn. By definition you're ignoring all unsuccessful titles.

Actually I've been curious why more indies don't share more concrete info about their revenues/sales. Is there some reason to not do so?

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Actually I've been curious why more indies don't share more concrete info about their revenues/sales. Is there some reason to not do so?

I'm not sure there are reasons to conceal data regarding sales, but I can think of a few to not discuss costs though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement