Board game into a video game

Started by
5 comments, last by KaiserJohan 9 years, 6 months ago

I am trying to make a video game. I worked out my idea of the game. It functions like a Risk-like game but rules are very minimalistic.

Now I have to start making this game. I don't really want to reinvent the wheel when it comes to the graphics. Are there possibly some kind of engines or frameworks or utilities that contain prewritten graphics code where I can start writing the logic while doing minimal stuff in the graphic side?

What I expect that I need to display:

-counties which can individually change color

-ability to show some numbers

Advertisement

What language are you programming this in? There are tons of API's available for all the different languages, but you'll have to give some more info if you want a specific answer.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

What language are you programming this in? There are tons of API's available for all the different languages, but you'll have to give some more info if you want a specific answer.

Currently, I am programming in Python. Writing the logic, doesn't seem all too demanding on the vocabluary, so I should be able to catch up on any scripting or programming language to write gamelogic in no time. Is my expectation realistic?

I would like to get a resource that has a thriving community so that I could bug people with question should I need.

check out pygame. It should have everything you're looking for: graphics, audio, input, etc. for python.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

check out pygame. It should have everything you're looking for: graphics, audio, input, etc. for python.

I've been messing around with it for quite a while now. Perhaps there are alternatives to that. Just askin' to widen the possible choices.

There's unlikely to be anything that can give you exactly what you're looking for.

For your country sections that need to change color, you'll have to do that yourself. The two options are basically:

1. Make a bunch of images of the countries in all the different colors, and swap them out. This is probably the easiest.
2. Use a mask of some kind (vector, image channel, or key color based) to change the colors programmatically.

If you're generating the shapes of the countries in code too, then you'd probably just regenerate with a new color, as necessary.

For showing numbers, you'll find many libraries that will help you with that. Although frankly, I usually just make images of numbers and throw those on the screen. There are only ten of them, after all, so it only takes a few minutes (faster than looking up a text display library, and I can use whatever font I want without mucking around with it).

Might be overkill, but you always got http://unity3d.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement