What is game maker?

Started by
16 comments, last by VertPingouin 9 years, 6 months ago

I've been on this site for about an hour and have no idea what game maker is. It seems like a really useful resource, but I can't figure out what it is. Please help.

Advertisement

Don't want to be rude, but have you tried searching "game maker" in google?

Game Maker is a software that comes with some tools you can use to make game development easier. Search "game maker" on Google and check the first results, and you'll quickly understand what it is. There's an official web page (https://www.yoyogames.com/studio) and lots of usefull results.

Like anything, it has it's pros and cons, and you have other options each with it's own pros and cons.

Game Maker is great if you are A) New to programming or game design and B) Making a 2D game. You can use it to develop for major platforms including PS4 and XBOne. It's main weakness is the room editor can be a little messy for complicated design and there is no multithreading support in the current version.

Please follow Orphan on: Facebook Twitter Tumblr Vimeo

I did a guide somewhat recently on getting kids started in game development, where I went in to a fair bit of detail about the various options, including GameMaker.

I can understand how the OP might be a bit confused over what it is, even with Googling, as it's a bit of a hybrid, and can be a bit confusing especially if new. Plus, I kinda found Yoyo's site does a kinda crap job. It's a cross between an application, a programming language, a visual scripting system, an IDE and a bundling of tools needed to make a game. Basically it's a game creation kit in a box, just in the digital age, there are no boxes anymore.

Oh, and even though my guide was aimed at kids, it doesn't mean these tools are only appropriate for kids. Some very successful commercial games ( Spelunky and Hotline Miami come to mind ) were created using Gamemaker.

That all said, it's possible the OP was also just being lazy... smile.png

OP is just lazy ;) thanks for noticing and being helpful

Game Maker is a mainly 2D game creation software using easy drag and drop programming or what most people use when they use it - a still easy scripting language called GML. The program is really quite good. However, whether it is better for production quality games or just prototypes, is debatable.

One more signifant complaint is the pricing, for a 2D software.

whether it is better for production quality games or just prototypes, is debatable

Yes, that's exactly what I have been thinking about for the past 3 months while working with construct 2. It seems that these tools can help you progress really fast but not too far, so for small games they are good enough, but as your project gets larger these tools show some limitations.

I find it difficult to transition from programming to using these tools, there's always a voice inside your head that tells you you're not doing it right. However it seems that most of Game Maker like programs are made for non-programmers who still want to make games. I think it's not fair to not be able to make games if you lack programming skills, lots of great game designers don't know how to code to some extent. These tools provide an opportunity to test your ideas and play them in few minutes or hours of work, I think it's amazing.

One more signifant complaint is the pricing, for a 2D software.

Construct 2 and Stencyl are cheaper, and for my specific needs, they proved to be more useful than Game Maker.

Is it worth buying the 99 dollar version? Or should I invest in something else?

Is it worth buying the 99 dollar version? Or should I invest in something else?

You can buy it (Game Maker Studio) if you want to, but you will only be getting the PC exporter for that $99. Meaning you still won't be able to export to Android, etc without paying more.

Do try before you buy though - there is a free version.
Also be careful, the one version they charge for on steam is available for free, which is shady as hell in my opinion.

That's actually my biggest negative against GameMaker, the company behind it have pulled enough bone headed moves to make we wary as hell of them. The DRM corrupting paid users project screw up of course being the biggest of all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement