Cocos2d-x C++ Tutorial Series

Started by
0 comments, last by Serapth 9 years, 6 months ago

Hello all. Not sure where tutorials go on Gamedev.net these days, so I'm going to go ahead and post it here, please feel free to move this is I picked wrong.

Anyways, I've started another ongoing tutorial series that is currently a WIP. This one covers Cocos2d-x using C++. It looks at the newest version (3.3beta as of writing), which is a version of Cocos2d-x that has been greatly refactored to be more C++'ish and less Objective-C'ish. Unfortunately this move makes a lot of the material out there outdated or simply wrong, I hope to fix that.

The tutorial currently consists of:

Installation, Creating a Project and Hello World

Basic Sprites, Position, Parenting and Coordinate Systems

Handling Mouse and Touch Events

Handling Keyboard Events

There is also a Table of Contents.

The series is ongoing. I try to stick to modern C++ as much as possible, although it's a language I've not used a ton, so if you spot something stupid, that's probably why. :) Compared to some of my prior tutorial series, each individual post is a bit longer than normal, each about the same as a chapter from a book. For example, when I converted the first post into a PDF, it was 30 pages in length! Assuming a certain amount of popularity, I intend to keep covering Cocos2d-x until I've covered all the major aspects.

As always, any feedback, comments, questions and suggestions appreciated.

Advertisement

Added another part, Game Loop, Updates and Actions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement