• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

This topic is 1468 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

No, they won't. The whole point of a higher version number is that it has more features. Some of the features from higher versions may be available as extensions though, it's just not guaranteed they'll be there (or be using a standard name or syntax).

Make sure to check though because any feature that worked in 4.0 will still work in 4.3, so if you want to use a feature first check if it's there in 4.0 or not (and for basic functionality this is likely to be the case). If it is, then you can still use that feature as-is.

It depends, I have a really old card in one of my computers, up until a little while back it only had full support for 4.0. Then with a driver update it went up to 4.3 and then the driver after that it went up to 4.4. I would say it largely depends on the card vendor and the driver, and even then just because they dont support it now, they may in a future driver, so its hard to say for sure.

What graphics card have you got?

The chances are that if it supports opengl 4.0, it will support a higher version - you just need to make sure you have the latest drivers.

The chances are that if it supports opengl 4.0, it will support a higher version

Unless you have an Intel GPU... or you're using OSX. In both cases you'd be screwed.

Edited by TheChubu

In that case, as TheChubu suggested, you're limited to 4.0. If it's a desktop machine, you can buy a modern graphics card (you're currently using Intel integrated graphics, not a graphics card) which would most likely support 4.5, but if it's a laptop, you're stuck as 4.0.

Have in mind that you can get pretty far with it anyway. For example, stuff like ARB_texture_storage, or ARB_shading_language_420pack, which are core 4.2 features, are supported in a wide range of cards. So even if your card doesn't supports a 4.3 context, it might support some of its features via ARB extensions, which work just like the core features.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!