• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Recommend a book for algorithmic 3D modelling theory

This topic is 1227 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to pick up a book that covers algorithmic 3D modelling topics such as bevelling, union, intersection, subtraction, nurbs and other similar topics. Can anyone make any recommendations? Alternatively if there are any great websites that go into depth, I could look at those.

Advertisement

Hi axefrog,

I have some book references for you that cover at least the NURBS part.

"Fundamentals of Computer Aided Geometric Design" by Hoschek and Lasser is a standard reference for modeling with curves and surfaces. It also covers various methods for interpolation, intersections, blending and smoothing of surfaces.

In Farin's "Curves and Surfaces for Computer-Aided-Geometric-Design", there's a bit more background on continuity, splines, and different kinds of operations you can do with curves and surfaces. It also contains exercises.

Here are some applets that demonstrate a few of the algorithms discussed in those books.

Hope that helps a little. ;)

Cheers!

AFAIK (but maybe I'm not correctly informed) ...

Methods like beveling, union, and such are collected under the term "constructive solid geometry" or CSG for short. This can be counted to algorithmic modeling in that is provides useful tools.

However, algorithmic (or procedural) modeling by itself is usually understood so that geometry is made out of a set of rules. This is often applied to architecture or plants. For example how to automatically place windows and doors into house facades, how to place houses and streets to get a city, how to make the branching of trees, how to place petals, how to generate a terrain, and so on. The classic books handling these aspects are

* Texturing & Modeling - A Procedural Approach

* The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants

@haegarr - thanks, those books are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! In fact, I just ordered both of them from Amazon...

Edited by axefrog

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement