• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
egruntz

Unity Best Tools for 2D Fighter

This topic is 1409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone,

Did some searching around and still couldn't find much help for the question I have: What's the best engine out there for creating a 2D fighter? I'm aware of MUGEN and other engines, but I'm interested in control of my mechanics rather simple character generators. I know JavaScript, HTML, and CSS rather well, and I know just a tad of C#, although I imagine I could refresh on that language within a week. Are there any engines that comes to mind when you consider those languages?

Musician: Check!
Artists: Check!

I'm the sole programmer. Will need loads of help.

I know this is a rather broad question, so I'm sorry if it's hard to answer. Just looking for starting points.

I was reccommended XNA, but I was also told to avoid XNA because "it's dead."

I was reccommended Unity, but I was also told that Unity is overkill for the scope of my intended game.

I keep getting suggested one thing and then warned about that exact suggestion sometime after. I'm starting to get really confused and discouraged.

Thank you for whatever help you can offer me!

Advertisement

I wrote a 2d fighter engine in SDL when I was in grad. school. If I had to do it again I'd probably choose Cocos2dx for the cross platform abilities. Programming a fighting game engine is easy in OO languages. Netcode for fighting games is another story...

Both of those are C++ based, though I think SDL and Cocos2dx may support other languages. Either way, the most important thing in traditional fighting games is 100% consistent frame rate. Honestly out of everything you listed I'd go Unity. It's very easy and will do a lot of the heavy lifting.

If you already know JS and HTML5, I'd suggest you check out phaser  (It's a HTML5/JS game framework) and just use it to create your game.  IMO, a browser-based game is great, simply because anyone can play it from anywhere.

Unity, though "overkill" in that it can do so much more, would probably work fine for the project.  The free version would also be more than enough, even if you wanted to port it later.

GMStudio(Game Maker's new version) would probably be much better for this specific job, and it has a nice free version too.  But, the free version doesn't do everything like Unity's free version.  Also, the capabilities for 3d are much less than Unity's so if you wanted to try to use the software later for a 3d game it wouldn't be as worth your time, rather Unity would be better time spent if you look at it like that.  But for JUST this single job, if the free version is enough, or if you are willing to pay for the professional version, GMStudio is one of the best tools for the job.  And though not in the free version, it does export to HTML5.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!