• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hodgman

Ads impersonating GDNet

This topic is 1668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

So, question -- how much better were the revenues through AdSense? Is the yearly revenue so high that an (American) Public Broadcasting-style fundraiser might be a viable alternative that could simply eliminate advertising altogether?

Like, run an annual Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign "Make GameDev.net ad-free in 2015". As a long-time member here, now a gainfully-employed adult (which was not the case when I first started visiting), I'd be happy to contribute to such a fund-raiser. Shamefully, I've often forgotten to renew my Plus membership, but a yearly drive would make an excellent reminder for people. Maybe have a $50 tier that gives you a choice between a yearly membership or some merch. Lesser tiers for quarterly or monthly memberships, swag, or honorable mentions. Going too big on rewards would be counter-productive, but maybe you could get some industry and community folks to support you by donating rewards -- Say one of our esteemed community members with a published title could offer up download codes free or at reduced cost.

If the site is hurting on a temporary basis it might be time to bring back the donation form and the "donated money to the site" recognition, and/or have a membership drive again.

I have no problems with this. Though I am currently unsure if I am even active under the GD-NET Subscription at the moment as my Crossbones makes me blue...which begs the question is there another way to determine this status onsite?

I was debating another possibility which would be to go with something similar to reddit gold.. where effectively you can buy credits and "gild" a particular post/person for helping you out for 1 credit.  Reddit gold is like our gdnet+.. which has pretty much the same lack of any type of useful feature but is pretty much a "support the site" type of thing.  

The biggest thing I'm working on is trying to consolidate / trim / remove any extra cloud servers and services that aren't 100% necessary.   We just dropped VerticalResponse for our newsletter and instead went with http://sendy.co/   We did a test last Thursday and it worked absolutely perfectly.. so that will save about $1800/yr.  

We can operate on a single 4CPU SSD server with at least 16GB ram (ideally 32GB) at this point and we need backup services.  We run a few single-purpose servers that run at $35/mo but with the resources they use we could move to Linode and move to $10-20/mo servers.   That would save about $1080/yr.  

In any case, adsense generally sucks for revenue anyway compared to sponsors so the biggest thing is getting legit sponsors.   I think ads can be a positive thing if they are actually things people are interested in and may not have known about.

In any case, adsense generally sucks for revenue anyway compared to sponsors so the biggest thing is getting legit sponsors. I think ads can be a positive thing if they are actually things people are interested in and may not have known about.

The Mixamo ads were actually interesting.

In any case, adsense generally sucks for revenue anyway compared to sponsors so the biggest thing is getting legit sponsors.   I think ads can be a positive thing if they are actually things people are interested in and may not have known about.

How much do you really need?  It sounds like you could run on a few thousand a year.

Why not let users buy that ad space, for what you need to run the site divided by the time the add occupies that spot?

I've looked for how to buy the banner ad space on Gamedev before, but I couldn't find any information:  Just how to get a + account (which I can't justify to accounting as a petty cash expense).

Please make it easier for me to buy ad space from you!  I'm probably not alone in this...

I agree, it would be good if people could just buy ad space directly. It might be a pain finding enough advertisers, but I'm sure some of the tool and content makers (just like Mixamo) would find it an ideally targeted pool of potential consumers. I would even consent to my forum usage patterns being mined to give laser-targeted advertising. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!