Using same bundle ID for Free app? (iOS)

Started by
3 comments, last by alh420 9 years, 6 months ago

I have a paid game in the appstore right now that I want to make another version of for free. So basically I have "GameName". And I want to make "GameName Free"

I created a new app in itunes connect, but when I choose a bundle id for it I was thinking if I can use the same as before or if I have to make a new bundle id? It seems I could create the app in itunes connect with the same bundle id as the paid version without any error so so far it seems to work?

I was thinking this would be easier down the road so I dont have to adjust for the iaps and so on if they are identified with the same bundle id.

But I think i have read somewhere you need to have an unique bundle id for every released app since they are tecnically seperate apps?

Advertisement

*nods* Yes, I believe so... each app **must** use a unique bundle ID.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9200686/bundle-id-for-app-submission-ios

You can launch them as separate apps if you want. If you do, they must be separate.

You can also use the digital receipts from Apple so you can ship a single version that has the free stuff locked, and unlocks the premium stuff if they pay either in the store or in the app.

Each release has to have a different bundle id.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

What frob says.

Maybe more clearly:

You can convert your currently payed version into a free one, with an in app purchase option to buy it (full version, remove ads or whatever), and still let people who bought it before the conversion access everything as before.

Then you use the same id (obviously, since it is still the same app)

It has the advantage of not splitting your user-base in two, and you have the option to add more content later and sell it through IAP to your whole userbase.

But if you want to split it into two versions, you must use different bundle ids.

I'm surprised itunes connect does not complain...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement