safely researching PC games

Started by
6 comments, last by vvv2 9 years, 6 months ago
I'm thinking of developing a bowling game for the PC. Before delving into it too much though, I want to see what games are currently out there. Is there anything like the App Store for PC? I want to try out PC bowling games but without potentially getting a virus or adware.
Thanks.
Advertisement

Steam?

I second Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/

You have to download and install the Steam client, but when you buy games they are saved to your account and you can re-download and re-install them at any time.

I use Steam alot - it's my favorite PC gaming store/service. Good Old Games is another, but with a smaller more curated selection mostly focusing on older games.

I also use the Humble Bundle Store when they have good sales going (and then redeem my Steam keys on Steam wink.png).

Impulse (GameStop), Desura (ModDB), and Origin (EA) are the other 'major' players (though all of them combined are still smaller than Steam).

Also, Windows 8 does have an actual app store, though I don't know how much is actually on there.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
If you are worried about software being malicious BTW, make yourself a new user account (without admin privileges) and run it from there.

Or consider running a full VM to isolate the games.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Or just get the virus, battle through whilst trying out different bowling games and then finally wipe your computer and reinstall a clean OS. PCs are good like that in that they are not locked down. You can't really brick them (unless you want too. Freedom!).
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

I also use the Humble Bundle Store when they have good sales going (and then redeem my Steam keys on Steam wink.png).

Impulse (GameStop), Desura (ModDB), and Origin (EA) are the other 'major' players (though all of them combined are still smaller than Steam).

Hi,

very very friendly games and other application distribution system is on: softronic.com, we recommend to trying it.

Thanks.

(c) 2000 by "vvv2".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement