• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gamedeviskp

Game Engine and Games

This topic is 1350 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all....I am a complete beginner to game programming...I have decided to give a try on UDK game engine...I have some simple doubts...I searched Google for the answers but couldn't get my doubts cleared....this is what I have understood about a game engine...They are used to reduce our workload by doing the works which are common in games...It abstracts the complex level and gives us a more easier layer to work with...So when using a game engine we can concentrate on our game logic and the engine will do those complex but common tasks..I understand that game engines are built over APIs like OpenGL. Now the doubt comes...How do we make OUR game from a game engine?Does every game engine provide a API through which we can interact with it and get our game from it?I thought of analogy..This may not be a real analogy...Suppose we are building a house.The engine provides as a skeleton of a house in which the common works like foundations and walls which are common to all houses are given....Now we want to put a window of our choice into the house skeleton...We interact Through the API and find the position or hole where we can put our window which was made externally....Does this analogy make sense???Is UnrealScript The language used to use the API provided by UDK so that our "Window" can be inserted to the "House"?Is this process called scripting???Please Pardon My ignorance if any.Thanks in advance.God Bless you.

Advertisement

It sounds like you've done your research.  That means that you have a desire to learn, and the motivation to try.  So try it.

It is best to start by making a 2D game such as Tetris, Pong, Asteroids, or something easy along those lines.  Pick something with easy graphics, simple game play, and nothing new.  For this prototype, don't worry if the game is fun, just make a game.  See what it takes.  By the time you finish you'll be on your way.

I do suggest you learn something about programming too.

https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/cs

Good luck!

Hello all....I am a complete beginner to game programming...I have decided to give a try on UDK game engine...I have some simple doubts...I searched Google for the answers but couldn't get my doubts cleared....this is what I have understood about a game engine...They are used to reduce our workload by doing the works which are common in games...It abstracts the complex level and gives us a more easier layer to work with...So when using a game engine we can concentrate on our game logic and the engine will do those complex but common tasks..I understand that game engines are built over APIs like OpenGL. Now the doubt comes...How do we make OUR game from a game engine?Does every game engine provide a API through which we can interact with it and get our game from it?I thought of analogy..This may not be a real analogy...Suppose we are building a house.The engine provides as a skeleton of a house in which the common works like foundations and walls which are common to all houses are given....Now we want to put a window of our choice into the house skeleton...We interact Through the API and find the position or hole where we can put our window which was made externally....Does this analogy make sense???Is UnrealScript The language used to use the API provided by UDK so that our "Window" can be inserted to the "House"?Is this process called scripting???Please Pardon My ignorance if any.Thanks in advance.God Bless you.

The analogy is almost right. The engine (at least the general purpose engines) doesn't come with a skeleton of a game, it comes, following your analogy, with an editor that let's you draw a map of the house, methods for creating new walls, roofs and floors, methods to place each wall on the ground, methods to combine walls, roofs and floor to create a room, a physic simulator to check that your structure makes sense acording to physics laws and won't collapse. If you "play" a new project in an engine you won't see a skeleton of a house, you won't see anything, you still need to build everything but you can think about the house content and behaviour and forgot about the "magic" being done to make that house a reality.

If you write your game from scratch you'll need to create functions for all the output (draw on the screen, play sound) and input (handle user input from keyboard, joystick, webcam, microphone). Each of this things is complex (some more than others) and the engine already does that. If you want to do a 3D game there's a whole other world of things to consider and learn, the engine already does most of it so you only need to learn some theory (what is a material? a texture? projection?) and how to use the engine to use that theory.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!