• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Plerion

Invalid bone transformations in skinned mesh

This topic is 1351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all

I am using skinned meshes with hierarchical bones in my application. Strangely i get rather mixed results for different models. The problem right now is that i am not sure if i am reading the values wrong or doing the math wrong. Let me first show you 2 different videos of different models:

N°1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6r7wzyfxdw20rl/2014-10-11_17-49-35.mp4?dl=0

As you can see it doesnt look that bad, yet there are strange bumps in the animation and the character seems to be moving up and down as well.

N°2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgn785i5x7y1jhn/2014-10-11_17-50-59.mp4?dl=0

For this nice fella however the animations seem to completely wrong...

The main code i am using to calculate my matrices looks like that:

void M2AnimationBone::updateMatrix(uint32 time, uint32 animation, Math::Matrix& matrix, M2Animator* animator) {
	auto position = mTranslation.getValueForTime(animation, time, animator->getAnimationLength());
	auto scaling = mScaling.getValueForTime(animation, time, animator->getAnimationLength());
	auto rotQuat = mRotation.getValueForTime(animation, time, animator->getAnimationLength());

matrix = mPivot * Math::Matrix::translation(position) * Math::Matrix::rotationQuaternion(rotQuat) * Math::Matrix::scale(scaling) * mInvPivot;

if (mBone.parentBone >= 0) {
		matrix = matrix * animator->getMatrix(time, mBone.parentBone);
	}
}

With getMatrix like this:

const Math::Matrix& M2Animator::getMatrix(uint32 time, int16 matrix) {
	assert(matrix >= 0 && (uint32) matrix < mBones.size());

if (mCalculated[matrix]) {
		return mMatrices[matrix];
	}

auto& mat = mMatrices[matrix];
	mBones[matrix]->updateMatrix(time, mAnimationId, mat, this);
	mCalculated[matrix] = true;

return mat;
}

Ive been looking through several tutorials and explanations online and found - in my opinion - several different versions of it. Mostly it seems that the whole pivot stuff is a bit different everywhere. Am i doing it the right way?

Thanks for any help

Plerion

Advertisement

Hello all

Its me again! It was a combination of two problems:
1. matrix = matrix * animator->getMatrix(time, mBone.parentBone);

This has to be parent * matrix and not matrix * parent since i first want to transform by my local matrix and then apply the parents transformation!

2. The rotation values were wrong. I had to conjugate the quaternion with the rotation.

Now it all works fine.

Greetings

Plerion

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!