How do they do this??

Started by
5 comments, last by ashbhai 22 years, 5 months ago
http://theproduct.de/fr08_final.zip Now it will be like Q3A on a floppy... Can anyone enlighten me?
Advertisement
Lots of assembly language, procedural textures/music, and a lot of knowledge on compression.
Basically no content is distributed with the demo, it''s all generated by the demo.
Every texture, model, and sound is generated with certain algorithms. Do a search on procedural textures/sounds/models.

email

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
--Tool

[email=JValentine_13@hotmail.com]contact[/email]
Ah, .fr08 - a really, -really- impressive demo! Even guys I know who aren''t into the demo scene at all have got this demo!!!

Yeah, all of the textures are procedural, if you actually look at them they''re quite simple, and I think most of them are some kind of variation on the perlin noise algorithm.

All of the models are prodecurally generated. I''m thinking these are generated purely and simply using custom algorithms like "Hey that piece on the castle looks crap, why dont we add this>?...".

The music - I think the music is what impressed me the most about the demo. Nice synchronisation... But there''s also quite a variety of effects! Again, procedurally generated.

If only everything was written by demo coders... Everything would take ages to load, and coding would be a bitch, but it''d look nice and WindowsXP would fit on a floppy
Yes indeed......fr08 is excellent!!!!

"One day, Q3A on a floppy!!!"......

....you might just be right!
i just want to have the code
Whoah. That was real damn impressive. Everyone working on an entry for the Apocalypse demo (including myself) learn a valuable lesson from this Imagine what these guys could do with 5MB.
_________"Maybe this world is another planet''s hell." -- Aldous Huxley
The real kicker is that ''the product'' isn''t alone in the list of impressive 64k demos.... even better than that (more impressive anyway, to me) are the 4k demos.... do a google search on 64k and 4k demo scene, and be prepared to feel like you know nothing about coding and computer graphics.

email

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
--Tool

[email=JValentine_13@hotmail.com]contact[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement