Does a new game have to be state of the art?

Started by
20 comments, last by JY 22 years, 5 months ago
I know that wizzy 3D games are all the rage at the moment (a few too many of them if you ask me) but what do you guys think of the good old 2D platform games? I personally think that some of the games on the old Spectrum and Amiga have much more playability than some new games. Games like Lemmings and Worms are absolute classics (IMHO), why aren''t more games based on gameplay instead of just flashy graphics? My games programming is limited and it''s something I would like to get back into. I''ve spent too long in the commercial arena - but I want to know the general consensus on the style of game that is most popular. I was thinking of easing myself in by developing a game in the style of Lemmings or something similar. I prefer the brain-challenge of those kind of games as opposed to just shooting things. So, supposing I hope to get this game published, do you still think there is a market for games like this?
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
Advertisement
New games do not have to be "state-of-the-art." You do want your game to appear clean, well-ordered, easily understandable and basically nice looking, but state of the art (a.k.a. 3d) is certainly not a must.

However, there is no such thing as a perfect blanket statement. It depends a lot on what genre it is and for what system it is developed. If you''re making an RPG there are a myriad of acceptable media formats ranging from 3d to 2d tile-based.

If you''re especially concerned about your chances of getting the game published then you may want to consider developing for the GameBoy Color, the PSX, the PC or the GameBoy Advance. These are more "tolerant" of older looking graphics. The PS2, X-box and GameCube seem, at the moment, to be very caught up in flashy appearances.

Personally, I''ve seen too many flashy games totally devoid of substance to think anything of it when I see statements about how 3d a game will be.

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.
You think great I love old arcade games and think people like them too I''m just learning how to do 3D stuff but I love aracde stuff so please make a game

Tazar The Demon 0\.,.,./0
I don''t program to program, I program to live =)Please check out my site at: http://www.lrs.8m.comI have MSN Message just check if Tazar37@hotmail.com is on.PS: I will help newbie if I can all they have to do is ask me =)
Aye, 2d rocks
yup.. personally I know way more 2D games that I like very much then 3D ones... And there are some nice little shareware titles around which are great fun to play... and they rarely have very good graphics (althrought it shouldn''t be poor - looking like a c64 game...

With best regards,
Mirek Czerwiñski
http://kris.top.pl/~kherin/
With best regards, Mirek Czerwiñski
i think the old spectrum was great and i have a emulator and the
best game ever made which is "chuckie egg"

if u like 2d then go ahead and make your game besides its your project

if u make a chuckie egg game post it here so i can get it

thank you
Thanks for the feedback guys, so quick too!

I know what you mean Charles about no perfect blanket statement - different genres need different methods. I was just wondering really if there was still a market for old-school games.

If I go to a game shop there are dozens of Quake rip-offs and a few war strategy games and that''s about it. I was wondering if it was because there was no market, or just nobody developing the kind of game I''m talking about.

Thanks the encouragement too Tazar, I''m gonna have to develop that game now
Not sure why my name didn''t come up on that post? Oh well.

Chuckie Egg definitely was one of the all time classics, along with Manic Miner. I''ve always wanted somebody (like Codemasters) to release all their old speccy games, but jazzed up a bit.

So I guess I can safely say that for real games, gameplay is much better than flashy graphics. Kids these days have it all on a plate huh?
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
2D is fun...until you play Operation Flashpoint! Anyways, of course you should work out a game in 2d or whatever is easier if you have never designed or programmed a game before.

Oh, and the comment about there being too many 3d games is a little lame, since 3d is what we have been striving for for oh about 20 years...give me a break.
I don''t think anyone is saying that there are too many 3d games, only that the focus lately seems to be more in making a game LOOK good rather than PLAY well. Game play, story, character development (when applicable) are, in my opinion, more important than just making the latest graphics. There are some games in which graphics really ARE the most important thing. In a racing game graphics are extremely important, about the same as play control/dynamics.

Anyway, I think my point is clear: its not all about graphics.

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement