• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TooSpecial

Xray Engine Upgrade

This topic is 1442 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all.

Hoping this is an easy question to answer. I am looking for an engine to build a game over. I don't know to much about this, but I know what I have liked in another system. Its just not perfect for what I want to do. I really enjoyed playing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games and the Xray engine its running on.

So the first thing i want to ask is if there is something a bit more modern. Like an Xray engine capable of utilizing everything in DX11.

The problems with Xray is that it seems a bit outdated. And is known for being rather unstable and not very streamlined when it comes to resource management. What I really need in a game engine is the ability to run multiple AI, have night and day cycles, life cycles for NPCs and everything else Xray has going for it. But I need it to work over a much bigger environment. Xray is limited to rather small loaded sections at a time. I need huge draw distances. I need slight environmental destruction. There will be shelter building, so braking of things such as scrap metal and wood from buildings.

I do suppose I could just program something like that in and don't really need any physics involved in it. But its obviously flashier to make somethings destructible. I want item and weapon decay. With repairs and mods to weapons and construction of items being possible. I want random weather changes. And complete seasons. From heat waves in summer to complete ground coverage of snow in winter. I don't expect it to snow so much in the game that it covers the ground itself. But i do want snow build up on building roofs and over trees and the like. The ground coverage will just be part of the map. There is a few other things I am wanting. I just cant think of them right now. But It all just points to a suped up Xray engine.

The other option is making my own engine. But in all honesty I don't have the time or resources to do that. So what are the steps and possibilities of modding the Xray engine to do what I want. Will it be legal for me to do that. Or would I need to purchase the engine from the developers to do what I want it to. Because that wont be happening.

I did search on the forums for what I am looking for, but didn't find exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

Advertisement

Well, you're not going to find an engine/game with all that stuff already implemented, no.  Your best bet for getting something accomplished is to grab an Unreal subscription, and get a good understanding of Blueprints.  I've seen some pretty incredible things done with them, see Solus for example to see some of the environmental effects possible.

It has a nice graphical AI editor too.

As for X-Ray, you can take a look at it here to see how it ticks.  It's a *lot* of code.  No wonder S.T.A.L.K.E.R was so long in development!  High educational value perhaps, but not something I would choose to work with.  It's available under an open source noncommercial license if you want to try modding though.

Edited by xenobrain

Sorry if this double posts. I walked out of the Wi-Fi spot and it didn't seem to send when I walked back in.

Is it safe to say any engine can be worked to do what I want with it. Or will I still be locked in with the limitations of the engine I choose. As in will the Unreal engine be able to handle hundreds of AI. I will have tons of wildlife. Dangerous and non dangerous. I need them to react to each other. I need migration to take place. So if the animals are startled by the player. Or if the weather changes and they need to find food, I need them to wonder off. So that they aren't always in the same location. I need a pretty similar thing going on with the enemy and other people in the game.

On a side note. Can to engines run at the same time. Having one engine just for AI, day night and weather changes and some other odds and ends. And another to do loading of maps and other calculations.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!