• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NathanRidley

Direct2D for GUI elements on top of Direct3D11

This topic is 1527 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a quick question which I'm having trouble getting a definitive up to date answer on;

Some demos I've been referring to use Direct2D to render onto the same back buffer as Direct3D11, making it relatively simple to render text, draw rectangular panels and so forth.

Will this work with Windows 7, or is this an exclusive Windows 8.x capability? I'd like to be able to use Direct2D to draw GUI elements, but not at the cost of losing everyone who's still on Windows 7.

Advertisement

iedoc is completely correct.

To expand, this is a resource you might find helpful.  My experience was to interop rendering between my game renderer (D3D 11) and our editor's WPF viewport (D3D 9), but D3D / D2D surface sharing should be basically the same in principle.  We had absolutely no problems with functionality on Win 7 as a result of the implementation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!