Golden era of the RPG

Started by
29 comments, last by Thaumaturge 9 years, 6 months ago
In the communities opinion what made up the golden era of the RPG and would it be possible to bring it back?
Advertisement

In the communities opinion what made up the golden era of the RPG and would it be possible to bring it back?

When was that?

What defined this?

To re-use an old joke, "12-18 years old".

By "golden era" you mean that decade when videogames implementing D&D rules directly (with hidden dice roll and all) was widespread? I hope it never comes back.

I get it on tabletop and old isometric games. Lockpicking? That might require lots of animations and new screens. Missing an attack? Kinda hard to gauge unless the game is first person.

Nowadays, you can spare resources on all sorts of aspects. Lockpicking can be implemented as a minigame instead of a dice roll, hiting an opponent might be determined by simply letting the player use the weapon and try to attack a fast opponent with it. If an opponent is supposed to be hard to pin down, don't just increase its "dexterity" and call it a day, tweak the AI, make it dodge the player's attacks.

Dice rolls are a convenience for a time when the hardware just wasn't up to such tasks as actually doing all the actions said dice rolls were crudely emulating. Right now there is no excuse to do such things.

Even indie games (which are above all resource constrained) with RPG elements are inclined to the full on direct gameplay approach instead of relying in random numbers.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

By "golden era" you mean that decade when videogames implementing D&D rules directly (with hidden dice roll and all) was widespread? I hope it never comes back.

I get it on tabletop and old isometric games. Lockpicking? That might require lots of animations and new screens. Missing an attack? Kinda hard to gauge unless the game is first person.

Nowadays, you can spare resources on all sorts of aspects. Lockpicking can be implemented as a minigame instead of a dice roll, hiting an opponent might be determined by simply letting the player use the weapon and try to attack a fast opponent with it. If an opponent is supposed to be hard to pin down, don't just increase its "dexterity" and call it a day, tweak the AI, make it dodge the player's attacks.

Dice rolls are a convenience for a time when the hardware just wasn't up to such tasks as actually doing all the actions said dice rolls were crudely emulating. Right now there is no excuse to do such things.

Even indie games (which are above all resource constrained) with RPG elements are inclined to the full on direct gameplay approach instead of relying in random numbers.

Not dice rolls god no. dnd belongs on paper. Im talking about fantasy star, golden sun, even megaman battle network as examples of rpgs. I suppose dragon age falls under behind the scenes dice roll as well as any game that doesn't rely on the players skill to do things like picking locks or dissarming traps. But what about games like fallout that require skill for some yet, stats for the rest. does requiring a certain level of points in a skill to activate or deactivate something set it above?

When was that?
What defined this?

I would say it started somewhere in the early 90s or so. Maybe just before the 90s when there was an increase in their popularity.

To re-use an old joke, "12-18 years old".

I'm guessing you are referencing that that is the general age group of the fans of the genre.

When was that?
What defined this?

I would say it started somewhere in the early 90s or so. Maybe just before the 90s when there was an increase in their popularity.

That seems in the eye of the beholder... I would be inclined to disagree with your assessment this far...

RPGs became popular in the 70s, but has massive opposition. Do you mean to refer to the era where it became acceptable to roleplay? (in which case I would be tempted to say that now is possible the most liberal time there has ever been as geek culture has successfully supplanted 'regular' or 'hip' culture) or when it became more accessible to the public (which, once again, I'd say now is the best period with all of the video games based around the concept of RPG made available through non-retail distribution).

If you want to refer to some kind of abstract golden age of when games were 'better', then specify how they differed from today, and perhaps we can start having a serious conversation, but until then, I think it is a pretty empty statement.

Well as I wasn't around for the 70s my oppinions on that are lacking for a bit. personally the time frameI described is what I grew up with. The games told simple stories that had a few points that were similar but they went about it in their own way.

Now they have a lot of cool new additions compared to what they had when I first started playing. I think the main difference is hardware capabilities.

When was that?
What defined this?

That seems in the eye of the beholder... I would be inclined to disagree with your assessment this far...
RPGs became popular in the 70s, but has massive opposition. Do you mean to refer to the era where it became acceptable to roleplay? (in which case I would be tempted to say that now is possible the most liberal time there has ever been as geek culture has successfully supplanted 'regular' or 'hip' culture) or when it became more accessible to the public (which, once again, I'd say now is the best period with all of the video games based around the concept of RPG made available through non-retail distribution).

If you want to refer to some kind of abstract golden age of when games were 'better', then specify how they differed from today, and perhaps we can start having a serious conversation, but until then, I think it is a pretty empty statement.

Are you stating that now is the golden era?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement