A lack of Win32 info from Microsoft

Started by
14 comments, last by DanTheRocker 22 years, 5 months ago
Is it just me or is there a lack of information on pure and simple Win32 documentation? I Find things here and there, but it keeps diverting me to MFC, which I don''t want to learn right now(but will). If there a good Win32 Database or documentation site?
-Dan
Advertisement
msdn.microsoft.com

All the Win32 docs on there, plus articles concerning all apsects of Win32 (and MFC if that''s what you like).

If you have DevStudio you also have it on CD with that.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

quote:Original post by DanTheRocker
...but it keeps diverting me to MFC, which I don''t want to learn right now(but will).

Naturally, Microsoft want to push its class library, but all the Win32 documentation is still in their. Try using the Contents panel to get a complete listing of all the titles on your CD, or lookup functions by name in the Index. If you look up an operation or generic term, it''ll probably point you to MFC.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
The MFC section usually has pointers to the Win32 section that apply to it (at least, that what I''ve found). Also, if you find a section in MFC on what you want, just look up similarly-named functions in Win32. Generally, the names of the MFC functions are taken from the Win32 names.

codeka.com - Just click it.
Dont rely on any microsoft documentation to learn anything, I think they assume you have been programming for a decade in VC++ already. I learnt by using the many tutorial sites out there, and am only now finding the MSDN useful as a reference now that I know the nuts and bolts.
quote:Original post by Ibanez
Dont rely on any microsoft documentation to learn anything, I think they assume you have been programming for a decade in VC++ already.

You think wrong. I think most people just don''t know where to look in MSDN (whether on CD or online); several times I''ve seen posts say "I''ve searched and searched, but MSDN seems to have no info on this!" Then I find it it 3 minutes. Sure, sometimes the documentation is not as clearly organized or as "neutral" as we would like - but it''s free (online).

As for assuming experience with VC++, do you know that hardly anybody reads instruction manuals anymore? How many newbie questions have you seen like "I tried to compile but it says it can''t find main!!!!!! HELP!!!!!" If they''d taken the time to read the docs, they would have learned about the various proect types and what they do by default - you know, that Contents panel with such useless items as "Welcome to the MSDN Library" and "Visual C++ Documentation" (which contains the absolutely worthless "Using Visual C++" section).

Geez.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
The Manuals are directed to those who already know the lingo and have at least some basic experience in programming, and not for those who are getting the experience right now.

Say, in a manual they explain flat mode and 16bit real mode. If you read in the manual to convert between the two you have to take the segment multiply by 10h and add the offset, someone who has never programmed would be like, what the hell is he talkign about? segment?offset?

Same thing about the programming manuals, you have to have at least SOME experience. That''s why there are beginners books. Once you learn the basics you can try and figure things out on your own by reading the manuals, because you are right, it contains almost EVERYTHING you might need to get everything out of using MSVC for example.

So manuals hardly ever help most newbies who don''t have any experience in the field.

The easiest way to get started is get a book (either from library or buy one on your own), and once you start understanding the basics, you can go on the internet and search for some specific topics.

Sorry for my ramblings :-)
I actually find the MSDN stuff that comes with MSVC++ 6 useful. Of course there are a lot of references to MFC, but there are also a lot of references to the Win32 API functions. When in doubt, look it up in the MFC documentation because the corresponding Win32 function will probably have the same name.

.... and so (after writing this and then reading the replies before I post this, I agree with Dean Harding

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
MS domcuments on their own products is pretty good I think.
Their documents on C++ and the STL is a joke though.

Edited by - Lowas on November 8, 2001 8:22:17 AM
C++, C++, C++
So, 1.6 G of documentation isn''t enough for you?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement