• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jusa

Do you use UML or other diagrams when working without a team?

This topic is 1525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When you are doing programming projects solo, do you use UML or other diagrams? What diagram types do you find most useful, or do you feel diagrams are unnecessary when working alone?

Advertisement
When you are doing programming projects solo, do you use UML or other diagrams?

I want UML to die in a pit of suffering, poop, tears and fire. I despise it, and all that it entails. All the culture that surrounds it, all the "software engineering" processes developed around it. Fucking. Hate. It.

Then again, a lot of thought has been invested into UML. So it has its uses, for some people. I'd say class diagrams and entity-relationship diagrams are a nice tool IF you feel like doing them in the first place. I feel they're nice when you can have other people do the diagrams for you. You'd probably make their life miserable though.

For me? I don't like them. I only use them on uni courses when they're mandatory. I enjoy thinking about abstractions, how classes interact, etc. UML takes away all the fun I have while coding.

Edited by TheChubu

+1 to all that has been said against UML.

I personally prefer when documenting a stable API, to make basic diagram (not formal like UML) explaining the flow of the data between the interfaces, a few key relationships and key processes. Just something that gets the general picture for my users. Much friendlier.

Edited by Matias Goldberg

I do find back-of-the-napkin sequence diagrams for tiered services to be pretty useful. In this day and age of highly-scalable free-to-play cloud-based online games and the influx of Web Brogrammers to gaming, we might start seeing more UML. Sad.

Yes.

For solo projects sometimes I sketch class diagrams when I cannot figure out the structure easily... for complex architecture can really make things clear before starting to put out code.

I do not use them or save them as documentation, though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!