• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Infinisearch

blender export resources

This topic is 1438 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was considering making an graphics engine and was wondering about levels created in blender and how to create plugins and an export plugin for blender.  So can anyone who has any experience with the topic share advice, methodology, tutorials, other resources with me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit - i am mainly interested in writing an exporter so a good tutorial or advice would be nice.

Edited by Infinisearch

Advertisement

i am mainly interested in writing an exporter so a good tutorial or advice would be nice

My only advice would be to not write an exporter. An exporter is bound to a single modelling tool which will greatly limit the usebility of your engine. A much better cost-value ratio is to use a good export format (eg fbx, collada, opengex ) which has lot of tool support and write a converter for it (format->your-engine-internel-format) .

Ashaman73 provides some good advice. Blender already has a nice suite of export options, most of which are reliable.

Also, what you're discussing sounds like a Blender Addon, not a plugin. You can get an idea of what's involved here. And, if I'm not mistaken, a Blender Addon now requires that the Addon be registered with Blender, sort of a certificate.

You can try your hand at an export script in Blender, but, as Ashaman mentions, you'll likely spend a lot of time and effort to create a script that's only good for particular circumstances. You'll need to learn Python (if you're not already familiar with it) and the Blender API. And, consider, once you're done, you'll have one Blender export option tied to one import option in your engine. I've tried it and found using the existing addons is much simpler.

If you're thinking about creating your own engine, you'll want to spend time writing that engine, rather than writing Blender scripts. A more common approach is to use existing export options from modeling programs and, as Ashaman mentions, write import routines for your engine for a particular file format. If you lock yourself into Blender as your modeler, it's almost certain that you'll run across a model on the web that you want, and you'll have to write another importer for your app anyway.

So, start out writing an importer for the format of your choice which stores data in your engine's internal data format, a format convenient for creating resources. Write a separate routine which uses your internal data structure to create resources. If you find another format you want to import (and that's likely), write another importer. You'll end up with a suite of importers for your app, from which you can create resources with just a single routine to edit.

An alternative to creating a suite of importers for your app is to write a program solely for importing data and converting it to your internal format. That program could be based, for example, on Assimp importing. Let Assimp decipher the import format, and you spend your time learning only how to interface with Assimp, rather than Blender scripting and several other file formats. That "converter" program exports to your format, and your engine needs only a single import routine for same.

Edited by Buckeye

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!