• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NathanRidley

Why not use UE4?

This topic is 1432 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Out of general curiosity, what makes you want to build your own rendering engine as opposed to using UE4, given the miniscule price point?

For me, I'm still just learning and also I use C#, as well as not feeling at home with C++. Arguably, learning C++ would be a lot less work than learning how to write a renderer, but I'm also a bit of a control freak and like the idea of knowing my code inside out. None of these reasons are totally rational really when viewed from a time efficiency standpoint, but I guess I enjoy the learning process as well.

What about you?

Advertisement

I agree with several of MJP's reasons.

what makes you want to build your own rendering engine as opposed to using UE4, given the miniscule price point?

"Miniscule" is a relative term. However, if you consider $19/mo miniscule, I'll give it a try with your credit card.

I could also ask: What makes you want to rent UE4 and possibly pay royalties when you can build your own rendering engine for free?

Time efficiency is just one of several ways to view things. As you mention yourself, the fun of learning can be an overriding reason. For me, time is not a consideration. I enjoy learning. I have a bunch of reusable code.

Fair points. Actually I'd also be interested to know what sorts of things people are needing from their engines that would make UE4 (Or even CryEngine) too restrictive, particularly from the hypothetical perspective of starting with a fresh codebase today.

UE4 is also far bigger than just a rendering engine. You have to accept all that other stuff to get the rendering. Many of those pieces are not as cool or beneficial in practice as the marketing material wants to think it is, and many things in the Unreal codebase are a nightmare to work with; it's typical for most large projects using Unreal to spend _significant_ time getting it to halfway work decently outside of the little demos it ships with (e.g., it technically runs on consoles but not well enough for a major game to actually ship on it, at least not without very significant changes to the core engine).

For me, it is quite similar to a few others' arguments.  My engine was actually the vehicle that I used to learn about graphics programming (and general programming too), and I wouldn't trade that for anything.  Once you get attached to your own engine, it is pretty hard to make the decision to dump it and go with something else, no matter how awesome it looks.

If you are just in it for business reasons, then one of the low cost engines is probably an attractive way to go.  But if you are trying to understand and learn, then starting from zilch is still the best way to understand what you need to do.

Thanks for the replies, I've had a bit of a conflict, because I have a particular long-term game idea I'm working towards, but a friend of mine who is a game designer keeps saying I'm wasting time reinventing the wheel and I've been unable to effectively articulate why I want to learn this stuff anyway. Ultimately it comes down to freedom I guess. If I use someone else's engine, it's like catching public transport. If I understand how to implement the engine myself, it's like being able to fly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!