Problem with OGL and Voodoo5

Started by
4 comments, last by Biased turkey 22 years, 5 months ago
I have 2 systems, both running Redhat 7.1. One has a Voodoo Banshee and the other a Voodoo5. Both systems run the same, and latest , version of SDL development and runtime libraries 1.2.2-1. On my Banshee system, I can compile and run perfectly pure SDL ( no OpenGL ) applications. On the same system I can compile and run perfectly OpenGL applications ( like NeHe OGL tutorials ). On my Voodoo5 system I can compile and run perfectly pures SDL applications. On my Voodoo5 system I can compile perfectly OpenGL programs: No compiling errors, and a binary executable is produced. Now, when I run that executable, I have the Linux black screen of death ( TM ). Any information, tip, explaination, suggestion or even a R.T.F.M. would be highly appreciated. TIA
Advertisement
My guess is that it is a bug with the Voodoo5 drivers. If you update to the latest version of XFree86 will you perhaps also get new drivers.
I''m afraid you just gave me the explaination to my problem.
Now, 3Dfx being bankrupted it looks like the bug will never be corrected right ?

What''s the best supported videoboard for Linux AND OpenGL ? Nvidia ?

Thanks for your opinion
While I don't prescribe to the notion of throwing more money at the problem (that's a windows syndrome) I will have to say I absolutely love my NVIDIA card with Linux. I myself am only using a GeFORCE 2MX400, but those should be pretty cheap to pick up right now if one were so inclined.

To the more immediate problem you have: go to www.linuxvoodoo.com and check the section on hardware->video->voodoo cards for setups. If that doesn't fix your problem then you probably will have to purchase new hardware as NVIDIA bought out 3Dfx assets. Note that wasn't read as company, so nvidia could give a sh*t less about 3Dfx customers...

Good luck.

YAP-YFIO

-deadlinegrunt

hehe: s/where/were/ - DOH!

Edited by - deadlinegrunt on November 10, 2001 5:39:38 AM

~deadlinegrunt

The linux drivers for Voodoo is still being developed. In my opinion is nvidia the current leader special on linux systems.
Thanks to the nice people who took some of their time to reply and help me make a decision.
I''ll keep my Voodoo5 on my gaming rig because I''m a big fan of racing games like Toca2, GP3, CMR2 , Granturismo2 with the Epsxe playstation emulator, and the voodoo5 so far is still the best videoboard with excellent FSAA ( the most important feature for racing games imho ).

Even if I hate Nvidia ( as an owner of 2 3Dfx boards what else could I do ... ) I''ll follow Deadlinegrunt and get myself a Gef2MX. It looks like Nvidia are the best when Linux support is a top priority.

Jacques

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement