• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Waskomo

How to fake angled walls with Wolf style raycasting

This topic is 1439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all!

New to the forum. Spent the last day googling on this topic and found hardly anything, appart from some games which show faking angled walls should be possible:

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss or

There's a lot of threads here about raycaysting, so decided to ask it myself smile.png

I've found two tutorials which explain doors & I think how faking doors work is the key for faking angled walls... as they say if a door is found half of the stepping distance should be added to the ray.

now see my attached pic:

[attachment=24231:door.png]

the intersection I need to find is marked with green, but if I add to the distance the ray will end up inside the wall next to the door (blue spot). now I understand it still might give back correct texture coo, but I fail to see it will, and the distance will be definitly off.

anyone can explain how doors work this way ? (adding to the distance..) smile.png

so if doors should work like that, I was thinking that based on where the wall was hit, I could add different amount to the ray's position, and that would make angled walls..

I guess if I can understand doors I could do angled walls aswell smile.png

Thanks,

found another picture:

36_5.gif

and this is why I dont understand why it would work, I need the green intersection, not the top one on the read line:

[attachment=24232:door2.png]

Advertisement

if you have the slope of the red line (dy/dx) and a point on the red line,  you should be able to find the green point if you know the x coordinate of the wall it intersects.

??

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!