Starfield programming

Started by
6 comments, last by Muzlack 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m making a space fighting game similiar to Space Invaders. I want the background to scroll down so it appears that you are moving forward, and the enemies backward. I would use a background image, but I saw something cool on another game similiar to this. There where multiple layers of stars that where not on an image. They were coded and placed on the screen randomly. Each layer traveled at a different speed. So some stars that were close to you travel very fast, and the farther away ones moved slow. I hope that makes sense. Does anyone know how to do this? --Muzlack
--Muzlack
Advertisement
Check tutorial 13 at this page:

http://sunsite.dk/demoscene/code/hornet/tutors/denthor/

although it is written for mode 13h (320*200 resolution for dos), The basic concept isn''t that hard to grasp.

good luck!

What are you using as your rendering API (GDI, Dos, Allegro, OpenGL, DX, D3D,etc)?

Billy
Yeah.

typedef struct _tagSTAR{ float fX; float fY; float fVelocity;} STAR;#define MAX_STARS 100STAR Field[MAX_STARS];void ScrollStarField(float fElapsedTimeInSeconds){ for (int nStar = 0 ; nStar < MAX_STARS ; nStar ++) {  Field[nStar].fY += Field[nStar].fVelocity * fElapsedTimeInSeconds;  if (Field[nStar].fY > BOTTOM_OF_THE_SCREEN)  {   Field[nStar].fX = RandomNumberBetweenZeroAnd(WIDTH_OF_SCREEN);   Field[nStar].fY = TOP_OF_SCREEN;   Field[nStar].fVelocity = RandomNumberBetweenZeroAnd(MAX_VELOCITY) / 10;  } }}void PlotStarField(void ){ COLORREF rgbColor; WORD rgbCOmponent; for (int nStar = 0 ; nStar < MAX_STARS ; nStar ++) {  rgbComponent = 256 * (Field[nStar].fVelocity * 10) / MAX_VELOCITY)  rgbColor = RGB(rgbComponent,rgbComponent,rgbComponent);  Plot(Field[nStar].fX,Field[nStar].fY,rgbColor); }}      

something like that.

D.V.

Edited by - DeltaVee on November 7, 2001 2:53:49 PM
D.V.Carpe Diem
Dude, I think you might need a bit more experience programming before you tackle a space-invaders game if you can''t figure this out.

The stars can be either pixels, or small images.

do this
  // init the starsfor(i = 0; i < MAX_NUM_STARS; i++){    // slow stars    if (i < MAX_NUM_STARS/3)    {        Star[i].X = rand()%SCREEN_WIDTH;        Star[i].Y = 0;        Star[i].Color = BLUE;        Star[i].Speed = 1;    }    // medium speed stars    else if (i < MAX_NUM_STARS/2)    {        Star.X = rand()%SCREEN_WIDTH;        Star[i].Y = 0;        Star[i].Color = RED;        Star.Speed = 3;    }    // fast stars    else     {        Star[i].X = rand()%SCREEN_WIDTH;        Star.Y = 0;        Star[i].Color = WHITE;        Star[i].Speed = 5;    }}...// move each star and check boundaryfor (i = 0; i < MAX_NUM_STARS; i++){    Star[i].Y += Star[i].Speed;        if (Star[i].Y > SCREEN_HEIGHT)    {        if (i < MAX_NUM_STARS/3)        {            Star[i].X = rand()%SCREEN_WIDTH;            Star[i].Y = 0;        }        // medium speed stars        else if (i < MAX_NUM_STARS/2)        {            Star.X = rand()%SCREEN_WIDTH;            Star[i].Y = 0;        }        else         {            Star[i].X = rand()%SCREEN_WIDTH;            Star.Y = 0;        }    }}[source]done.  

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Stupid question, maybe I should relearn HTML but how do you guys get those code boxes( the ones used to show code to others on THIS site) that are formated and color coded?
read the FAQ

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Maybe i''m still a bit too green, but i''ve been using bitmaps to achieve tha same effect. Works fine for me.

Just copy the bitmap image over to the surface, assuming it''s not sitting exactly on the screen (which it''s invariably not) i just copy bits of the image over in 2 steps. first filling the top of the surface (until we reach the bottom of the image) then filling the surface again but starting where we left off before.

each turn the image position is incremented by one creating the scrolling effect.

geddit? It''s like using a cyclic buffer but with a surface.

hope i haven''t confused you further. I''ll post code for it if you want to get a better idea of how it works.

later,
zipless
/* Ignorance is bliss, then you go and spoil it by learning stuff */

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement