• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
David_Abaev

Unity Unity3D Board Game development

This topic is 1371 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. I want write Online multi-player Board game (like monopoly)

I need write for Windows/ MacOS (in feature Mobile version too) What you think - Unity3d - it good choice for it? And if No - please write why and what better? If yes - Thanks, and please can you write some links for a tutorials - i just don't know how start write it)

Thank you !!!

Advertisement

multi-player
Board game (like monopoly)
Windows
MacOS
Mobile version

Interesting list.

Do you know how to make online games? Do you know how to build multiplayer software? Do you know how to program for Windows? Do you know how to program on Mac? And actually have macs to test on? Which mobile platforms? Do you have equipment for all the platforms you want to target?

It is an ambitious list, to say the least.

Thanks, and please can you write some links for a tutorials - i just don't know how start write it

I suggest you start there.

Learn by building something small. Then experiment with something bigger.

In this case, you might start by using Unity to make a simple board game.

Then perhaps how to target multiple platforms.

Then perhaps figure out how to use networking components.

Then maybe figure out how to make online multiplayer games.

And after a few years when you are comfortable with it all, make your game for real.

multi-player
Board game (like monopoly)
Windows
MacOS
Mobile version

Interesting list.

Do you know how to make online games? Do you know how to build multiplayer software? Do you know how to program for Windows? Do you know how to program on Mac? And actually have macs to test on? Which mobile platforms? Do you have equipment for all the platforms you want to target?

It is an ambitious list, to say the least.

Thanks, and please can you write some links for a tutorials - i just don't know how start write it

I suggest you start there.

Learn by building something small. Then experiment with something bigger.

In this case, you might start by using Unity to make a simple board game.

Then perhaps how to target multiple platforms.

Then perhaps figure out how to use networking components.

Then maybe figure out how to make online multiplayer games.

And after a few years when you are comfortable with it all, make your game for real.

Can you give me link for tutorial simple board game in Unity3D??

Hi,

It's not that simple with game programming. Programming is all about about learning a set of tools and applying them to all kinds of scenarios. I think that Unity is the perfect tool to use but I suggest you go ahead and make sure you have an understanding of the tools before you take on a project. Also do not let anyone scare you...it does not take years to achieve your goals but at the same time do not expect everything to work right away.

Unity provides some great learning resources here.

Cheers!

Just to give you an idea. I have been programming for more than 20 years now for my living(in c++).

I started adapting board game on unity for multiplayer matchs. I spent more than 500 hours in the last 6 months, to set the bases of the architecture. I spent 3000$ in licences (unity + smartfoxserver)  i have now everything ready for game adaptation, should get licence on my first game in the coming days.

I Hope it can gives you an idea of the work load....

Edited by mcmuzzle

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!