• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
imontheverge7

2D lighting

This topic is 1340 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently using this texture to draw lights around my items that emit light.

CDwKGdZ.png

Now this works great so far for lighting objects, but I want to create a dynamic lighting system and draw it from the center of my object that emits light. The problem is that I have no idea how to do this. I'm not so much concerned about realistic lighting like flickering and things like that. For now I want to be able to resize the light area on the fly when it's needed. How would I go about doing this?

Advertisement

Are you looking to cast any shadow or just control the size, intensity and color? In the case of size, intensity, etc - you can create a section after regular drawing that uses BlendState.Additive and use a customized color like:

Color col = new Color(200,0,0,50); //using alpha to control transparency

spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode.Deferred, BlendState.Additive);
spriteBatch.Draw(light_image, new Rectangle((int)pos.X, (int)pos.Y, (int)size.X, (int)size.Y), col);
Although you may need to offset the pos vector by half the size in the negative direction.
pos=lightpos-(size/2*scale);

Some people are use render targets to blend lights together and apply them to the image after.

ie:

Vector2 offset = new Vector2(lightImage.Width*0.5f, lightImage.Height*0.5f); //offset half width and half height to center light on object
Vector2 lightPos1 = ObjectPos+new Vector2(object.Width/2, object.Height/2)-offset; //put light in center of the object
Vector2 lightPos2 = OtherObjectPos+new Vector2(object.Width/2, object.Height/2)-offset;

GraphicsDevice.SetRenderTarget(myLightsTarget); //Draw lights on lights target
GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.Black);         
spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode.Deferred, BlendState.Additive);
spriteBatch.Draw(lightImage, lightpos1, Color.Red);
spriteBatch.Draw(lightImage, lightPos2, Color.Blue);
spriteBatch.End();

GraphicsDevice.SetRenderTarget(null); //use normal backbuffer to render now
GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.Black);

spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode.Deferred, BlendState.NonPremultiplied); //do all normal scene drawing stuff here
spriteBatch.Draw(sceneImage1, sceneRect, null, Color.White);
spriteBatch.End();

BlendState blendState = new BlendState();
blendState.AlphaDestinationBlend = Blend.SourceColor;
blendState.ColorDestinationBlend = Blend.SourceColor;
blendState.AlphaSourceBlend = Blend.Zero;
blendState.ColorSourceBlend = Blend.Zero;

//Now using the blendstate created, add the lights made on the lights target
spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode.Deferred, blendState, null, null, null);
spriteBatch.Draw(myLightsTarget, Vector2.Zero, Color.White);
spriteBatch.End();

//Oya for scaling them you can do this too...
Vector2 scale = new Vector2(0.5f, 0.5f); //half size
Vector2 origin = new Vector2(lightImage.Width/2*scale.X, lightImage.Height/2*scale.Y);
SpriteBatch.Draw(lightImage, lightPos, soureRect, Color.Orange, 0, origin, scale, SpriteEffects.None, 0);

Hopefully that helps?

Edited by renman29

I'm actually adding different light stuff to mine right now. I across this (although I'm not using it because I don't want to render all the scene elements twice [once with normal maps and once with regular images]):

A tank game by SkyForce which uses normal maps with their 2D lighting and it's very straightforward:

https://github.com/SkyForce/tan4ik/tree/master/Tan4ik

Also here's an image of a test scene I made using the method I described in my previous post:

lights_screenshot.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!