• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dthomas6184

Android AR game question

This topic is 1344 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what's the best way to create and animate an overlay for an AR game?

Now I can draw out the image in photoshop but what would be the best way to animate it and have it respond to hits, ammo depletion, etc. I want it to consist of a health bar, ammo counter, and possibly a map using gps location and be mostly transparent over top the camera feed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

"Best" is always subjective. What tools are you using?

For placement, thanks to every device having their own pixel count and aspect ratio, it is often easiest to just stick scaled artwork in each of the corners. Scale it down based on screen size.

Exactly what is easiest is up to you, your designs, and your tools.  I've worked on tools where individual layers of the PSD were extracted and you could show/hide layers. There are tools where someone needs to manually place where all the icons will be relative to the big full-scale version of the display, and you just scale it down based on how the UI was rescaled for the device. Or maybe your tool requires a series of different images to play as an animation, where you are essentially playing a movie clip. Or maybe you can meet your needs by color palette changes. Or maybe for your existing tools something entirely different is the easiest solution.

All these depend on you, your tools, and your design.

Edited by frob
Needed a word.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!