• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Martin Perry

View space spot-light move with camera

This topic is 1435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have spot light calculated in view space. I had it working in World Space, but now If I put camera in the same position as light, it is working. But if I start moving camera around, light start to rotates.

I have so far "hard coded" everything in fragment shader. WorldMatrix is Identity.

vec3 vNormalVS = (vec4(vNormalWS, 0.0) * (en_mViewInvTransposed)).xyz;

vec4 vPosVS = vec4(vPosWS.xyz, 1.0) * en_mView;

vec4 lightPosVS = vec4(en_spotLight.vPointWS.xyz, 1.0) * en_mView;
vec4 lightDirVS = vec4(en_spotLight.vDirWS.xyz, 1.0) * en_mView;

vPhong = CalcSpotLight(
  vec3(10.0, 10.0, 10.0),
  vPosVS.xyz,
  en_spotLight.vColor,
  lightPosVS.xyz,
  normalize(lightDirVS.xyz),
  en_spotLight.vAtt.xyz,
  en_spotLight.fFallOffCos,
  mat,
  normalize(vNormalVS));

Now, I am just doing simple fallOff

vec4 CalcSpotLight(vec3 vIntensity, vec3 vPos,
                  vec4 vLColor, vec3 vLPos, vec3 vLDir, vec3 vAtt, float fFallOffCos,
                  Material mat, vec3 vNormal)
{

vec3 vLightToPixel = normalize(vPos - vLPos);
    float fSpotFactor = dot(vLightToPixel, vLDir);

if (fSpotFactor > fFallOffCos)
    {
        return vec4(1,0,0,0);

//vec4 vColor = CalcPointLight(vIntensity, vPos, vLColor, vLPos, vAtt, mat, vNormal);

//return vColor * (1.0 - (1.0 - fSpotFactor) * 1.0 / (1.0 - fFallOffCos));
    }

return vec4(0,1,0,0);    
}

But even this is not working and red / green color are moving along with camera. If I put camera into light position, all is correct. It is probably something stupid, but after half a day, I am really lost :-(

I have tested vPosVS and result seems correct (4 color quad centered at screen center).

Advertisement

vec4 lightDirVS = vec4(en_spotLight.vDirWS.xyz, 1.0) * en_mView; <- this line looks suspicious 

what happens is that you treat your light direction as a position, when you multiply it with the matrix the translation is applied also, which will produce the effect you observe - when camera moves the light direction changes too.

Under hlsl you could write float3 lightDirVS = mul(en_spotLight.vDirWS.xyzen_mView); in order to just rotate the vector without translation.

Cheers!

Edited by kauna

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!