• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mateogianolio

Alliterate

This topic is 1515 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just created this web game using mostly javascript interacting with a PHP back-end through AJAX. I use a hash of the user's IP to store scores in a MySQL database. Works on all devices, although best on computer / tablet.

http://alliterate.net/

Try it out and tell me what you think!

Advertisement

Cool little game, I enjoyed it! The design and typography was nice and clean too. Thoughts I had while playing:

• I didn't initially notice that there was a 60 second countdown - might be worth noting that in the instructional blurb.
  • The scoring doesn't seem to take into account that some letters have a lot more common words than other letters. I could only think of three that start with 'X' for instance.
  • It'd be cool if you had some sort of mode where the scoring of a given word is affected by the length of time it took to think of, and that scoring adds bonus time to allow the player to keep going for longer. Right now it feels like there is an opportunity for a level of addictiveness that hasn't yet been realised.
  • The endgame effect (i.e. running out of time) I think should be more pronounced. Right now, it just kind of stops. Think "Game Over: Your score was X!"
  • When the game has ended, I click to restart, but it doesn't restart, it just resets the game, making me have to click a second time to start the game.

Cool little game, I enjoyed it! The design and typography was nice and clean too. Thoughts I had while playing:

• I didn't initially notice that there was a 60 second countdown - might be worth noting that in the instructional blurb.
  • The scoring doesn't seem to take into account that some letters have a lot more common words than other letters. I could only think of three that start with 'X' for instance.
  • It'd be cool if you had some sort of mode where the scoring of a given word is affected by the length of time it took to think of, and that scoring adds bonus time to allow the player to keep going for longer. Right now it feels like there is an opportunity for a level of addictiveness that hasn't yet been realised.
  • The endgame effect (i.e. running out of time) I think should be more pronounced. Right now, it just kind of stops. Think "Game Over: Your score was X!"
  • When the game has ended, I click to restart, but it doesn't restart, it just resets the game, making me have to click a second time to start the game.

Just refactored the code and fixed a lot of the current issues (more pronounced play and restart buttons, restart button now restarts game without page reload). Right now the word scores are calculated using the same letter points as Scrabble, will maybe change that later.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!