Starting Slow

Started by
6 comments, last by coder_for_life23 9 years, 3 months ago

I was wondering what would be considered a simple and easy idea to start off with for a novice mobile game programmer, i already have an idea in mind that i'm very passionate about, but it's rather complicated, sort pf a strategy game. I want to start off easy, something to get me going and also test the whole app publishing process, and maybe something that might give me some confidence, something is easy for a beginner to achieve and maybe have some sort of strategy aspects also ( would be a good practice to my game " Which is based on games like Diner Dash") So what would you guys recommend for me ?

Advertisement

Depends really, something like a puzzle game is going to be the most simple in general cases.

Usually compexity for games goes down to a few factors:

• Is there a lot of realtime action? That requires level staging, collision detection, physics, stuff like that.
  • Is it multiplayer? Networking adds significant complexity especially in the area of synching things up.
  • Does it have complex gameplay?(A strategy game could fit that bill or not, depending on what kind of strategy game it is.)

If you need ideas you might go through an appstore or something, see what people are playing a lot of and is popular and try to figure out the most simplistic type of game you could work on.

Things like strategy games tend to have a lot of UI elements to deal with, so that can add complexity as well, especially if you're trying to make it "feel good" on mobile.

Depends really, something like a puzzle game is going to be the most simple in general cases.

Usually compexity for games goes down to a few factors:

• Is there a lot of realtime action? That requires level staging, collision detection, physics, stuff like that.
  • Is it multiplayer? Networking adds significant complexity especially in the area of synching things up.
  • Does it have complex gameplay?(A strategy game could fit that bill or not, depending on what kind of strategy game it is.)

If you need ideas you might go through an appstore or something, see what people are playing a lot of and is popular and try to figure out the most simplistic type of game you could work on.

Things like strategy games tend to have a lot of UI elements to deal with, so that can add complexity as well, especially if you're trying to make it "feel good" on mobile.

As i mentioned i want to make a game based on the concept of "Diner Dash" or something like ":Mall Tycoon" that kind of a strategy game, no multiplayer what so ever, but before i start making a game with that kind of complexity i need t ostart with something small but based on the same or similar concept. i already had a look into the app store and most played games are either Candy Crush clones ( which ironically it was a clone itself ) or Clash Of Clans clones.

Start with Tic-tac-toe. It's pretty much the game version of "hello world". It'll get you familiar with building for a mobile platform and you won't get stuck in some game design / programming problem BS. If you can't do tic-tac-toe on the phone, you need to increase your mobile dev technical chops -- building anything more complicated than that is just a recipe for failure and disappointment. Once you've got that handled and know how the mobile development workflow works, you can build more complicated projects.

Agreed about tic tac toe or similar. Maybe also whack-a-mole or squash-the-bug if a classic tic tac toe does not appeal to you.

I would also not even begin touching mobile games until after you are comfortable with software development on the desktop. Learning to program is hard enough without bringing in cross-compiling, remote debugging, emulators, and graphics-based development. You didn't mention your current skill level, but if you are unable to build tic tac toe on the desktop, get to that level of skill first.

The purpose of the first few learning games should be to get comfortable with the technologies, pipelines and the processes. It should not be to develop a full commercially viable product.

(Also, moving to mobile forum.)

Start with Tic-tac-toe. It's pretty much the game version of "hello world". It'll get you familiar with building for a mobile platform and you won't get stuck in some game design / programming problem BS. If you can't do tic-tac-toe on the phone, you need to increase your mobile dev technical chops -- building anything more complicated than that is just a recipe for failure and disappointment. Once you've got that handled and know how the mobile development workflow works, you can build more complicated projects.

Agreed about tic tac toe or similar. Maybe also whack-a-mole or squash-the-bug if a classic tic tac toe does not appeal to you.

I would also not even begin touching mobile games until after you are comfortable with software development on the desktop. Learning to program is hard enough without bringing in cross-compiling, remote debugging, emulators, and graphics-based development. You didn't mention your current skill level, but if you are unable to build tic tac toe on the desktop, get to that level of skill first.

The purpose of the first few learning games should be to get comfortable with the technologies, pipelines and the processes. It should not be to develop a full commercially viable product.

I'm comfortable with mobile development in general, but i'm just getting started with game development, i already made some basic games like Space Invaders & Flappy Bird using SpriteKit. Haven't done anything like tic-tac-toe yet but i will give it a go ( lots of array combinations i guess ) But the positive thing (maybe) is my game doesn't depend heavily on animations or heavy graphics manipulation , mostly it's some static sprites with the occasionally moving human or building getting destroyed or something like that.

I would agree with some of the others above.

I would say start off with something simple. Such as a simply 2d shooter game. Where the enemies are coming towards the shooter and the shooter just has to tap the screen to shoot.

Or a simple arcade game where the player drags the player on the screen and has to catch falling objects.

My very first game was the drag player style.

But its good you have the right mindset of starting slow.

Check out my website where I do videos on popular topics about mobile game development and building a business with apps

http://www.passiveincomewithapps.com

Join the Free facebook group with over 800 members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/763907437003942/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement