• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
db123

what's the principle behind the shader debugger?

This topic is 1337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

PIX works by running the shaders in software (reference device) when you break (pause) the execution.

Vendor-specific debuggers could break execution in actual hardware, and copy the shader stack and registers to CPU-accessible memory for the debugger to access.

Edited by Nik02

PIX works by running the shaders in software (reference device) when you break (pause) the execution.

Vendor-specific debuggers could break execution in actual hardware, and copy the shader stack and registers to CPU-accessible memory for the debugger to access.

I think that if i created a virtual machine which is support asm shader code, may be i can replay the pixel shader process

I think that if i created a virtual machine which is support asm shader code, may be i can replay the pixel shader process

Yes, that is the gist of it, but its a whole project in its own right. You might be able to piggy-back on an existing software renderer like Mesa , Direct3D WARP or the DirectX Ref device. There are limitations though -- for one, your debugging is only as accurate as your VM's adherence to the spec -- this can get very, very detailed, down to the level of where exactly a texel is sampled during boundary conditions, how floating-point values behave, and implementing 16-bit half-floats in software, along with their conversions to and from more common types. Secondly, it's debugging WRT to a reference, so it can help you make sure that *you* are doing the right thing, but if the driver or device does the wrong thing it won't help you (its still a great benefit to know the problem belongs to someone else).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!