what's the principle behind the shader debugger?

Started by
4 comments, last by Ravyne 9 years, 6 months ago

i found there are two shader debugger:

the first one :

SD_Flagship_550_Shadowed.jpg

https://developer.nvidia.com/nv-shader-debugger

the second one:

pix for windows

http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/debugging/pix-for-windows

they can debug pixel shader code like cpu code, i want to know, what is the principle of this, if i want to implement a shader debugger, where is the start point?

Advertisement

PIX works by running the shaders in software (reference device) when you break (pause) the execution.

Vendor-specific debuggers could break execution in actual hardware, and copy the shader stack and registers to CPU-accessible memory for the debugger to access.

Niko Suni

PIX works by running the shaders in software (reference device) when you break (pause) the execution.

Vendor-specific debuggers could break execution in actual hardware, and copy the shader stack and registers to CPU-accessible memory for the debugger to access.

I think that if i created a virtual machine which is support asm shader code, may be i can replay the pixel shader process

Yea, but that is a very difficult and lengthy project.

Niko Suni

Renderdoc is open source and includes a shader debugger. Might be a good starting point for you.

I think that if i created a virtual machine which is support asm shader code, may be i can replay the pixel shader process

Yes, that is the gist of it, but its a whole project in its own right. You might be able to piggy-back on an existing software renderer like Mesa , Direct3D WARP or the DirectX Ref device. There are limitations though -- for one, your debugging is only as accurate as your VM's adherence to the spec -- this can get very, very detailed, down to the level of where exactly a texel is sampled during boundary conditions, how floating-point values behave, and implementing 16-bit half-floats in software, along with their conversions to and from more common types. Secondly, it's debugging WRT to a reference, so it can help you make sure that *you* are doing the right thing, but if the driver or device does the wrong thing it won't help you (its still a great benefit to know the problem belongs to someone else).

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement