• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ElGeeko7

Looking for the right audio API for C#

This topic is 1432 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I'm not actually a beginner at programming (and in fact I know like a dozen languages), but for some reason APIs are still way over my head.  Sometimes it seems like for every link I click on MSDN, I find myself scratching my head and clicking another hoping for a clear explanation of what certain APIs do and how they are meant to be used.  API docs seem to be more like an encycolpedia than a tutorial - meant for reference for people who already know what they're doing; that's great when I need a reference resource, but they don't help to learn Jack, lol.  So in that respect I am still very much a noob.  : )

So anyway, I'm looking for an audio API that can do "3-D" sounds (so multiple sounds playing at once, each with their own volume, pan etc.).  I've tried using Windows Media Player controls, this one function that only plays one sound at a time, and a few other things but with no luck.  I've seen a sickeningly humungous list of names - openGL, openAL, SDL, etc. etc. etc. each one seemingly taking forever to get working.  So my question for all you audio experts out there is, can you recommend a fairly straightforward API, preferably with noob-friendly docs, for C# games?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

I'm a huge fan of Wwise (https://www.audiokinetic.com/products/wwise/), use it at work and for a couple of personal projects (using MonoGame).

The Wwise SDK is written in C, but you can get a C# wrapper for it here http://adrienbock.com/WwiseSharp.

While Wwise is typically licensed it's easy to get a non-profit/educational licence, and you can pick up the evaluation edition immediately (restricted to 200 events if memory serves).

For the graphics I'm just using Visual Studio.  I've been using GDI+ functions to draw the graphics onto the main window.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!