• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tangletail

Large Terrains, Day-Night shading process?

This topic is 1425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently at the start of a project, and I am trying to figure out exactly how I am supposed to go about designing this. My desired results are,

Large Open Terrain, featuring a large amount of instanced objects.

The world will have a day and night cycle.

And also water with faked rivers(naturally).

If my knowledge is correct, Shadow Maps are only usable, for static worlds. Should the lighting change then the Shadow Maps would look incredibly unnatural. I tried looking up some processes of how this was circumvented but no luck.

For bodies of water, I figured I could just simply cheat the lighting process by treating the bodies of water as a voxel volume, assign a transparency, and distort the surface with a shader. Still a concept with an un-located rogue pointer... 

But for the life of me I couldn't figure out what I am supposed to do for the land or sky.

For terrain, Shadow Volumes seems like a decent approach, but I think that will become incredibly demanding with more objects that are in the scene. I tried looking up dynamic Shadow-Mapping, but results were inconclusive.

And for the skydome. My best guess is simply an unlit sphere with several animated shaders. And several planes for clouds.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Tangletail

Advertisement

Shadow maps absolutely - and when one shadow map isn't enough use cascaded shadow maps. 

Cheers!

[edit] when you feel that you have achieved everything, you can look into FarCry tech docs, they explain how to implement ambient lighting with day night light cycle. 

Edited by kauna

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!