Classic Video Games made with Classical Instruments

Started by
13 comments, last by Luxliev 9 years, 5 months ago

I actually found that a ton of the music from II & III are straight out of music libraries. One day I was looking for some fantasy-ethereal music for a commercial on either APM or Firstcom or something and ran across half the soundtrack. If you keep an ear out you'll hear snippets of it in TV shows and ads every once and a while.

That's actually really interesting can you check and link source if possible?

Anywho, the one thing I'm really noticing is that the high strings are very 'midi' sounding.

I try to make classical instruments to sound little more retro (Do you find those strings annoying? I'm interested in your opinion) Here is my original piece made with same strings.

I made a rough edit to the woodwinds and brass. Double Basses and Contrebasses are the same thing, so I deleted Contrebasses. I've seated clarinets+flutes, oboes+bassons, and trumpets+trombones in pairs because they go well together.

Thanks for whole post any tips are always very welcome. I experiment with everything whole time.

Remember, the best mix is a great arrangement/orchestration. If you have a great arrangement, you can make it sound greater in the mix. When your arrangement is crap, all you can do in the mix is try to cover up for it. smile.png

That's very true. Good thing is that part of the work is already done in old tunes.

I really like this approach to learning and you picked some memorable pieces for it! If you reach the point that you are really satisfied with an arrangement, you could consider submitting it to ocremix.org/ (Most of you might know the site, but as it has not come up in this topic yet, I did not want to leave it unmentioned).

Thanks! I appreciate any new sites where I can share my music. I'm sending my music to ocremix already. Their review process is quite long though (1 or more months)

Another week time for another track. This time Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III:Manhattan Project - Let's Go

Advertisement

Heroes was a great game, cool choice. I actually found that a ton of the music from II & III are straight out of music libraries. One day I was looking for some fantasy-ethereal music for a commercial on either APM or Firstcom or something and ran across half the soundtrack. If you keep an ear out you'll hear snippets of it in TV shows and ads every once and a while.

That's actually really interesting can you check and link source if possible?

I know for sure that Heroes uses a theme taken from an audio library. By coincidence, other games and even an anime (a Japanese cartoon) also made use of the same theme but in subtly different arrangements.

This is the arrangement from Heroes:
[media]https:
[/media]

This is from the anime:
[media]http:
[/media]

More information:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10250

This link and research I did after checking it out probably will make my music composition much easier. I found a lot of useful info. Thanks a lot.

Battletoads - Surf City (Classical cover)

Another two covers.

Shatterhand - Area B: Refinery

Darkwing Duck - Quackerjack's Bridge

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement