movement as in Steam Birds

Started by
0 comments, last by ferrous 9 years, 5 months ago
I am working on a game that I want to have movement similar to what Steam Birds use if you are familiar with that game. If you are familiar with it you can skip the next little description for the uninitiated.
The game will start off paused. You are able to select the direction you want your plane to move (and what "special powers" you want to use during the next turn but that isnt important to my question). Once you have selected your movement then you click a "Go Button" and your movement and actions are carried out in 4-6 seconds of play where you have no input. The game will then pause again and wait for your input....wash rinse repeat.
I would like to implement the movement selection in my game. Your ability to move is restricted by your current speed and direction meaning you cant instantaneously move the opposite direction you were just moving last turn.
Below is a picture of a path selected for a plane in that game
How would I go about allowing this path selection?
Advertisement

Oh, I've done this. Here is a unity prototype of a version that had pathing.

Here's an decent guide to what it is you're asking for: Dubin's Curves.

http://gieseanw.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/a-comprehensive-step-by-step-tutorial-to-computing-dubins-paths/

EDIT: And to be a bit more specific, basically each plane has a turn radius. I forget whether the game has a sliding turn radius, where the faster you want the plane to go, the larger the turn radius is. Anyway, think of it as two circles to the left and right of the plane, and the line/path the player wants to go cannot pass through those circles, but must move along them before heading off in a straight line tangent to the circle.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement