vc++ 6.0 custom build probs... :( plz help

Started by
3 comments, last by shurcool 22 years, 5 months ago
i know that there''s a way to automatically copy the output file (in my case it''s a dll) to a custom directory, using the custom build. it was something like this: copy something_something_inputfile c:\whatever\output.dll i don''t have the exact format on my hads now, so please help me. i had a problem because i tried to export to a folder with spaces (e.g. c:\program files\whatever\). it worked with a non-spaced path (e.g. c:\test\files\whatever\), but when u have a space in the path, it recongines it as a 3rd parameter and gives an error (doesn''t copy the file there!). and how what do i put in the outputs window??? thanks a lot for any help, i really appreciate it! thanks, shurcool shurcool.
Advertisement
To be able to use spaces in a filename you must enclose the filename in quotes (").

e.g.

copy "some filename.exe" "some other filename.exe"

If you want your exe/lib/dll/etc files to appear somewhere else than the default Debug and Release directories you don''t need a custom post-build step. On the "Link" tab (category: "General") you can write the name and path of the file to output, and on the "General" tab you can change the "Output files" and "Intermediate files" directories. Of course there are situations where you really want a post-build copy.
thanks a lot, i hope that''ll work (haven''t tried it yet). later!

thanks,
shurcool
In the Settings panel, you can specify the path where the output file is located.
The custom-build and pre- / post-link items are just like batch files. Anything you can do in a batch file, you can do here (in fact, VC++ just writes all the commands into a batch file one after the other and executes it).

It''s quite cool, because you can do things like:

IF EXIST myfile.exe myfile.exe

which will execute myfile.exe, only if it exists (this is useful, for example, for uninstalling a service before you re-link your application)

codeka.com - Just click it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement