Questions in my head that I can't find answers to!

Started by
1 comment, last by Oliver Qvist 9 years, 5 months ago

Hello, my name is Oliver, just turned 18 years old in september.

I am currently looking up all the crucial parts of becoming an accepted 3D artist.

I have so many questions that are not software related, but they're mainly about

the game industry.

1. What is expected of me once I get accepted to join a development team? Do they

expect me to know everything about 3D and Game engines, and how the people there work together?

Or do I get to learn along the way?

2. What is crucial to learn to become an accepted 3D artist?

After my new computer arrives, and my right hand is in good shape (broke it), I have a goal. In one year,

I will sharpen my skills in Maya (hardsurface modeling, no sculpt), Photoshop (handpaint and photorealistic texuring w/tile),

aswell as learning how to import models into the UDK Engine, make custom ground/terrain texutures but most of all learn how

to set up a scene with content made completely by me. Once I've learned that, I can make good looking

scenes to put into a Portfolio wich will hopefully lead towards a paid career. That is my goal.

Advertisement

While you are learning, what is important is that you are actually putting in efforts to improve weak areas, to gain knowledge in places you lack knowledge, and to gain experience in places where you don't have experience.

1. What is expected of me once I get accepted to join a development team? Do they
expect me to know everything about 3D and Game engines, and how the people there work together?
Or do I get to learn along the way?

2. What is crucial to learn to become an accepted 3D artist?

#1 When you are young and a recent hire, you will not be expected to know everything about everything. You will work with others on your team who know what is happening, and they will give you some training on their specific tools and technologies. You will also have an art director who reviews all your work, and probably a senior non-director who will watch over your work until you are no longer an entry level worker.

#2 As for what is crucial, the most obvious (and somewhat snarky) answer is to learn the things you need to know. Learn art. Not just "I drew these things" but to take classes and read books on specific things of value. Schools are good at that because the instructors typically know the things you need to know, whereas you as the uneducated inexperienced person only know the things they are already aware of, and hence are unlikely to know what you need to know. Many community colleges and universities have art degrees that focus on digital art. You'll learn all the classic art stuff including the very important skill of how to critique your own work, you'll also learn the important skill of learning how to learn, and hopefully the skill of learning how to work.

Thank you so much!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement