"Click to start the game"

Started by
8 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 9 years, 5 months ago

hello

in many games today come with a black screen with the specials words "CLICK TO PLAY", what is the utility of this phrase?

Advertisement

In most cases I think its a console requirement. In order for a game to be certified for a consoles, the games developers have to abide by the console's conditions, such as the "click to play" screen. Another I've seen is the "this icon means the game is saving, don't turn off the device" notification.

[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler

i am taking when we enter the game , imean "In-game", & in some game there is tis WORDS need for the player to click any button "CLICK ANY BUTTON TO START".

Can you name a game where this happens? Also, can you explain better what's your concern about it?

What Postie said makes sense, it could be a requirement set by the console maker, but since it looks like english is not your main language maybe you only have troubles with the meaning of the frase.

Anyway, if you don't know what it means or what is expected from the user... you're saying it yourself, it's there to tell the player that, in order to start playing, he/she must press any key.

Why would someone put that screen in a game? Well, maybe starting right away after the game has loaded the level isn't "fair" in some games, so putting a screen saying "press any button to start" ensures that everything will start moving only if the player is ready to play. Take a shoot-em-up game... if it takes some seconds to load a level the player might be distracted when it finishes, so a "press any button to start" dialog will prevent the ship from start moving and being destroied by the first enemy.

Another way to prevent this is a countdown at the beginning of the level, similar to the "set, ready, go!" on races, you give some seconds for the player to be prepared.

in many games today come with a black screen with the specials words "CLICK TO PLAY", what is the utility of this phrase?

maybe starting right away after the game has loaded the level isn't "fair" in some games ...
Another way to prevent this is a countdown at the beginning of the level, similar to the "set, ready, go!" on races, you give some seconds for the player to be prepared.

Many times this is the case.

Imagine a game takes a long time to load a level, perhaps a minute or longer on a low-spec machine. It is fair to put the player into a position where there is a momentary pause to allow the player to stop whatever side distraction they were doing while waiting for the loading screen.

In many network games there is also time required to establish all the connections and ensure everyone survived the migration from one thing to another. Such a delay allows players on slow machines a moment to load without punishing them relative to those with fast machines who may see the map or other game elements first.

Other times, it gives the player a few moments to acclimate themselves to the environment. In some games rather than a delay, the player-controlled character is placed in a safe "dead zone" where action does not begin until the player nudges the character into the room. The player can see what is going on, make a plan, and not need to worry about defending themselves or taking immediate action before facing the hordes. Even further, some games allow a large area where you can peek and plan and explore before triggering the big nasty whatever in the room.

In many of the classic arcade games like the 2D space shooters and platformers, this was accomplished by adding several seconds of time for the player to move where they want on the screen and get used to whatever background or other items are going on. It is usually unfair of the designers to simply start the player in the middle of intense action where the player is punished for not knowing the situation in advance.

Depends on the game and if the player is going to be thrown into the action right away.

A game I made for Android for fun was a 3D-Pacman clone in which starting the player off in the level right after he died and lost a life, or just completed a level was a bit bombastic and ultimately jarring to the end-users ultimate experience. This issue I feel was dealt with by just swiping up on the screen, as noted by the picture below

Screenshot_2014-10-22-14-09-05_zps18c8d5

There are other reasons to do this as well.

On consoles it is frequently used to tell which of the plugged in controllers is actually playing the game. The player presses "A" (or equivalent) on the controller in their hands and the game then uses whichever controller had its A button pressed rather then forcing the user to find the player 1 controller that their kid accidentally kicked under the couch.

On PC this can be used to tell which input device the player prefers to play on. They may hit a button on the controller (so the game should use controller bindings) or they may hit the spacebar or click a mouse button (so the game should use KB+Mouse input bindings).

There are other reasons to do this as well.

On consoles it is frequently used to tell which of the plugged in controllers is actually playing the game. The player presses "A" (or equivalent) on the controller in their hands and the game then uses whichever controller had its A button pressed rather then forcing the user to find the player 1 controller that their kid accidentally kicked under the couch.

On PC this can be used to tell which input device the player prefers to play on. They may hit a button on the controller (so the game should use controller bindings) or they may hit the spacebar or click a mouse button (so the game should use KB+Mouse input bindings).

Yep. Sometimes they just come out and say it:

dcdac15c47.png

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
this is waht i amtalking about

for example in P.E.S. 2012 or (2013) i can't remember
there is :
"PRESS ANY KEY TO START" OR "PRESS ANY KEY TO ENTER"

For PC games, sometimes it's to make sure the window has proper mouse and keyboard focus.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement