Mac or PC - Really, this is a programming question.

Started by
23 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 9 years, 5 months ago

Now...before I get accused of posting in the wrong spot, I really do believe this is the right spot for me to ask this question. I'm hopeful that the moderator agrees. This question is for programmers only please.

As a game programmer, what hardware and platform are you developing on. For all of my career, this was an easy question to answer. But I've been seeing technical people around me shifting and I'm very curious about the trend for game programmers. Obviously this is highly dependent on what you are working on, which part of why I think this is an interesting question.

So if you don't mind, please respond with:

Hardware: PC or MAC

Development Environment: Visual Studio, XCode, or Proprietary Editor (Unity, UE4, etc.)

or

Are you Dual Boot/VM?

Thank you!

Advertisement

I develop on Mac and Windows. I have my desktop running Windows with Netbeans and my Mac running OSX with xCode. I am developing multi-platform technologies so I believe that it makes sense to jump around as much as I do. I am dual boot on my Windows machine with Linux(Ubuntu).

I guess I mainly develop on my Mac but meh, it really doesn't matter. I mean in the end I am writing the same code.

Hardware: both.

Desktop environment: Win/VS, Mac/XCode or Xamarin, Linux/CodeBlocks

I use VMs regularly, dual boot Linux in a few specific cases (off USB 3 portable drives) but not as a general use thing.

Our core tech runs across all of these platforms, although iOS is the only public platform release right now.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

linux/codeblocks or VM windows/codeblocks here.

I'm too poor to actually own a mac :P Though, one of these days I'll get around to using mac in a VM and play around with developing there. It just hasn't been a priority as I'm fairly overwhelmed with so many other programming related things that I probably should have learned ages ago. It's a bottomless pit, it tell ya :P.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

At home I use use Windows 8 with Visual Studio 2013, and at work I use Windows 7 with Visual Studio 2012 (although I do a lot of coding in Sublime). The current-gen consoles both use Windows + Visual Studio as the development environment, so if you're going to work on them then you at least need access to a PC that runs Windows.

Mac pretty much exclusively at home and work. Windows when I can't avoid it (drivers for esoteric hardware, for the most part), and Linux for a handful of pieces of software at work which haven't yet been ported to Mac.

My development environment tends to center around Sublime Text and the command line, with occasional XCode/IntelliJ/Visual Studio as expedient.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Mostly Mac/Xcode, but also Xamarin, Xubuntu, Emacs, Windows 8 and VS2013. Most of my projects work on all big operating systems.

Aether3D Game Engine: https://github.com/bioglaze/aether3d

Blog: http://twiren.kapsi.fi/blog.html

Control

Mac with Xcode and WebStorm at work and at home. I have a Windows terminal server but the only time I use it is to log into the ancient IE only payrol system that my company uses.

At work it is mostly Mac with Netbeans for general Java, Eclipse for Android specific stuff/Xcode for iOS specific, FlashBuilder for Flash. People that work on the older Flash web games are generally just on Windows with Netbeans/FlashDevelop. Newer games are moving towards Unity which is still done with a Mac for me and then I have Parallels installed to use Visual Studio. Couple people use Windows for Unity but they just do gameplay/UI integration.

At home it is a Windows machine and generally Unity to prototype random ideas since I generally have little time for anything serious. But do have an old copy of VS 2008 kicking around if I want to brush up on C++ or do some real programming. I also have a Mac mini from my mobile contracting days that is straight up XCode.

At work:

Mostly Macbook + XCode, Eclipse if I have to (android/GAE) and the occasional Windows/Linux in a VM

Also a pinch of cmake, make and ant (much prefer to build android from command line, much less error prone)

motivation: sweet hardware and even though I often do multi platform stuff, heavy focus on iOS and OSX.

At home:

Windows Desktop + Various linux devices + arduino + Old Macbook as lab laptop

Mostly using cmake, make and arduino IDE, but I mostly do embedded programming at home atm.

motivation: Windows Desktop is to play games more then dev... Old macbook is very nice as a lab platform because it is a posix system and plays a lot nicer with linux and other *nix:es

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement