Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

savagery

Colision detection with the Screen

savagery    122
I got a game I made in DOS, RPG 2D 256 colors, I want to port it to Windows 16-bit using DDRAW, (Í am new to this stuff), I used to check for a specific color in the screen, which I defiened to be the boundary for the background BMP, like rocks and trees, then I checked if It was inside the sprite so I dont let it walk that direction, BUT, now in 16bit Its just slow...any sugestions, Tutorials, coments will be apreciated (and sorry for the grammar)

Amythius    122
I would suggest some sort of algorithm for detecting the boundaries of the screen.
First : Make globals of your screen size in your file.
#define SCREEN_WIDTH ###
#define SCREEN_HEIGHT ###

Then, when initialize your window, use these globals to set your screen values for its size.

Then, in you detection algorithm... Just detect if your player or whatever has hit SCREEN_WIDTH - 1 || SCREEN_HEIGHT -1

Thats just my guess, Im running late, so this reply is pretty bad. I hope this helps.

Amythius    122
I would suggest some sort of algorithm for detecting the boundaries of the screen.
First : Make globals of your screen size in your file.
#define SCREEN_WIDTH ###
#define SCREEN_HEIGHT ###

Then, when initialize your window, use these globals to set your screen values for its size.

Then, in you detection algorithm... Just detect if your player or whatever has hit SCREEN_WIDTH - 1 || SCREEN_HEIGHT -1

Thats just my guess, Im running late, so this reply is pretty bad. I hope this helps.

Also, I would like to see your game, I''m always interested.