Simulation and Game Design program at a local community college

Started by
4 comments, last by mbt87 9 years, 5 months ago

Hi all first time poster here (I actually came across these forums when looking for somewhere to ask this question) i've been in and out of school for the past few years mainly because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do (I always had good grades, just never could keep interest in a program) doing something involving game design was always an interest for me, but I wasn't sure about computer science because i've always been weak at math. I was looking around at some local colleges and stumbled across this program http://www.gtcc.edu/programs-of-study/simulation-and-game-development/associate-of-applied-science.aspx I know typically game design schools are considered a waste/money pit, but this is from a local community college so it wouldn't be nearly as expensive as the schools like UAT, Art Institute, ect. The same school offers a Computer Programming Degree, but this one looks way more interesting to me, however I could see the Programming one being more useful as far as having application outside the gaming industry.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of/taken a similar program and could offer some input/advice for me?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Advertisement
I don't think you need advice. I think if it sounds interesting and affordable then you should give it a try.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks, I think I may give it a shot....it looks to have a lot of courses that are based around 2D/3D animation and that has always intrigued me, although i've never really knew where to start learning it.

Community colleges are usually a much better value proposition.

The best value proposition is, of course, learning on your own - which is just for the price of a few books - but if it has been tough to get the motivation to trudge through it, something like this could give you a boost and be a good start.

It looks like a good course outline, but you can't really tell much from that.

If you're able, and I'm assuming this is in your area, why don't you go to the school, and meet with some of the professors to get a feel for their experience, and the history of the course?

Most schools will give you a tour and even sit in during a class, but it doesn't look bad.

Thanks for all the input, yeah the school is about 45 minutes from me...most of the courses I think have online options too so i'll probably see if i can meet with someone there and talk to them about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement