• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NathanRidley

Recommend a book on differential geometry

This topic is 1425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently partway through learning calculus and linear algebra for graphics programming (using books I bought on Amazon), but it's been brought to my attention that I really should add differential geometry to the list.

Can anyone recommend a good book on differential geometry before I try my luck with Amazon book roulette?

Advertisement

Thanks yeah I saw those, but I'd like to get a book and was hoping someone had a specific recommendation in terms of readability, completeness and applicability to this field. If not, as I said, I'll just try my luck with one of the 2-3 related books on Amazon that have star ratings.

Edit:

I have added this one to my wish list to buy in the next couple of weeks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/184882890X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18VQ6U94QXIT5&coliid=I3G3I19PZTWF4D

Edited by axefrog

Can anyone name an application of differential geometry in everyday graphics programming? The applications I know of are in theory of general relativity and theory of partial differential equations; I know you have tangential spaces in lighting equations, but learning differential geometry just for that seems kind of an overkill to me. I would pick it up if I had reached a point where I absolutely have to and not a single moment earlier. Unfocused study of DG won't help you much in graphics programming, especially if you're just starting out in linear algebra and calculus.

differential geometry is HARD

I'm working towards trying to build an eventual expertise in advanced procedural generation of 3D worlds, so my brief look into the subject of DG (after someone mentioned it on another thread I started) suggested that it might be relevant in terms of dynamic texture and geometry generation. I really could be completely and utterly wrong; feel free to put me in my place.

There might be some uses for differential geometry in computer graphics (texture synthesis following a flow on a surface comes to mind), but you can almost certainly get by with some intuitive understanding of the situation without having to learn this complicated subject. So I agree with duckflock.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll hold off on it for now. I have other fish to fry anyway. I found a youtube tutorial playlist from a math teacher on the subject, so i might look at that at some point when it becomes relevant.

Edited by axefrog

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!