Windowed or full screen?

Started by
7 comments, last by Kaezin 22 years, 5 months ago
Just wondering if full screen has any distinct advantages over windowed games? Personally I like windowed because you can use menus easily that way, but could someone give me their 2 cents about it?
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator
Advertisement
IMO it''s easier to become immersed in the game if you don''t have other windows and stuff distracting you. For some types of games this immersion is not needed (like puzzle-games, card-games etc.), so for those it''s ok to be windowed (IMO).

The best is perhaps to include both options and let each user choose for themselves.
I prefer full-screen mode for 3 reasons:
(1) It is faster when you have a lot of stuff going on (at least, it has been for me; I don''t know if this is universal).
(2) I don''t have to worry about the resizing of windows, or something else grabbing the focus and overlapping my window.
(3) I can pretend I''m not using MS-Windows for the duration of the game.
Okay thanks, I''ll stick with windowed Also now I can make my own purty menus instead of those petty windows menus =D
hey how do you make your own menus??
I''m getting kind of sick of those boring ms menus too man...
The main advantage to using fullscreen mode (with respect to DirectX) is that you can utilize hardware acceleration.
As I understand, this depends on what kind of video card is been used. You can use hardware acceleration in windowed mode using DirectX or OpenGL, if you''re using a recent graphics accelerator. However, some older boards (Voodoos [not banshee!] come to mind) only support 3D acceleration in full screen.

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
Almost forgot... using full screen you can change the display resolution as you see fit... if you did that in windowed mode that would be... strange and stupid

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
lol okay thanks just gonna make my own menu by doing it manually... i.e. when someone presses ''escape'', call ShowMainMenu(), then if they choose the option "Sound", the game will call ShowSoundMenu, and so and so forth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement