Web cam integration

Started by
3 comments, last by Russell 22 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone know how I might go about integrating a web cam into my program? I would guess that the first step would be to simply obtain an image from whichever port in the computer that the web cam is hooked up to. So does anyone have any ideas on how to go about doing this? PS - I''m talking about programming, so keep the "You run the program that cam with your quick cam and click ''Take picture''" comments to yourself
Advertisement
Do you know mattkos?

You can use DirectShow to do that (I think, it depends on whether or not the Cam comes with a DirectShow driver)

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Most of the camera vendors (Logitech etc) also have SDKs available with sample code to play around with.

If you can''t find anything online, send one of the vendors an e-mail - they like new apps which take advantage of their hardware - it''s good for them!

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

I don''t know if it''s what your looking for but Game Programming Gems 2 has an article on using web-cams in games. I assume that that means grabbing images from them and texturing a quad with them.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
directshow.
good thing about it is it should work with any capture device (brand, model, etc.)
life is unfair, take advantage of it.UNMB2 - if the link doesn't work, try clicking it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement