Best C# engine for beginners

Started by
12 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey i'm a beginner in C# but not in programming. and i'm looking for a way to learn C# but skip all the first steps like making console apps and stuff, mainly looking for a engine. i try'ed unity it was ok but not my style. i also try'ed paradox but it was way to advanced for the things i want to do.

Advertisement

Why is Unity not your style?

Software Engineer | Credited Titles: League of Legends, Hearthstone

its just not. i'm not sure..i have used it and made all the tutorial games and everything, but it never felt right. like some one coding a language they don't like there is nothing wrong with the language but its just not for them.

If you can't say what you don't like about Unity then there's no guarantee you won't equally dislike the alternatives presented here. It would be worth devoting some thought to the matter.

some one said unity is to advanced for beginners. i get overwhelmed when i see all the options and settings in unity. well that would go for any engine i guess. i'm not sure what to try if every thing i look at seems to hard or ill never do anything right. the truth is i don't really know what i want... i have so many questions and ideas but when i open a engine ide i feel like its to much and i cant do anything

Unity is advanced, and sometimes overwhelming for beginners.

If your goal is to learn how to write an engine, it is probably not for you. You won't spend your days writing an engine.

If your goal is to put together a bunch of existing components, stuff you can download from the Unity website and around the Internet, and VERY quickly turn it into something you can play, and even stuff you can release on mobile app stores, then Unity is a wonderful tool.

There are the usual caveats about making any game. One person can rarely do it alone. You usually need people with at least a moderate background in design, programming, modeling, animation, UI art, and music. Having people with professional level skills will radically improve the product. Don't expect to make a AAA title when building a game in your basement on weekends, but you can still make something you can show off to friends and potentially to future employers.

Unity is advanced, and sometimes overwhelming for beginners.

If your goal is to learn how to write an engine, it is probably not for you. You won't spend your days writing an engine.

If your goal is to put together a bunch of existing components, stuff you can download from the Unity website and around the Internet, and VERY quickly turn it into something you can play, and even stuff you can release on mobile app stores, then Unity is a wonderful tool.

There are the usual caveats about making any game. One person can rarely do it alone. You usually need people with at least a moderate background in design, programming, modeling, animation, UI art, and music. Having people with professional level skills will radically improve the product. Don't expect to make a AAA title when building a game in your basement on weekends, but you can still make something you can show off to friends and potentially to future employers.

that's exactly the answer i was looking for. thank you!

i was thinking like this. i really want to make something useful that u can play and people are willing to buy or download. just make things and practice programming untill i go to college and get a team to make games with.

And if Unity is intimidating to you, you might find this book useful. (Disclosure: Yes, that is my name on the cover.)

The hardest part is the initial learning curve. Once you understand what all the buttons and major components do, the program becomes quite straightforward.

thank you so much! ;) u might get a nice dollar bill (with my name on it)

if i or some one would become really experienced with this engine would it be like starting all over again if they needed to one day change to a different engine that has different file structure and other options? or would it be easy to change from unity if i have learned to code and do other things in unity that can be used in any engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement