World Makeup

Started by
0 comments, last by cossy74 22 years, 5 months ago
Question? What is the best format for storing a virtual world as. By this i mean purely the walls anf floors. Non moving objects. Issues interested in: a/ performance b/ collision detection c/ backface culling of surfaces d/ display lists e/ flexibility of use and design My thoughts, ( please comment because i am relatively new to gaming, i say gaming to mean programming because anyone can play but only some create. )..... * If using the world model as given in one of nehe tuts i have been able to expand this is include multiply modules, with the ability to designate where they go. I then read them in and create a display list for each sector. * My thought were to collision detect based upon which section the object is in. This minimizes the amount of object to detect against. ANY thoughts or suggestion are more than welcome.... cossy74
Advertisement
Well, it really depends on what kind of world you have, but I would recommend using oct-trees. You can find articles on them around. This would definitely enhance performance, especially if you used some kind of Level Of Detail with it. Using sectors is also common, especially in indoor enviroments, but unless you do a lot of portal work and have small sectors you might end up drawing too many unecessary polygons. Collision detection could use a modified version of oct-trees to make the least collision tests possible. Backface culling is pretty much taken care of for you. Display lists are dependent on what method you use in a/, and I can''t really give you help about that. As long as you do this neatly and maybe with classes, it will be very flexible.
Hope that helps!
"No break 'till you die!" - Mr. Foster, my English teacher

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement