quickie - separator in menus

Started by
6 comments, last by krez 22 years, 5 months ago
how do you put a separator in a menu using c++ and the win32 API? i am using a resource file for my menus, but i don''t know how to put the little greyed-out separator line in the menu:

ID_MENU MENU
BEGIN
  POPUP "&File"
  BEGIN
    MENUITEM "&New", ID_FILE_NEW
    MENUITEM "&Open", ID_FILE_OPEN
    MENUITEM "&Save", ID_FILE_SAVE
    MENUITEM "Save &As", ID_FILE_SAVEAS
    MENUITEM "??? SEPARATOR ???",ID_FILE_NULL
    MENUITEM "E&xit", ID_FILE_EXIT
  END
END

thanks in advance. --- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
This will do the trick:

ID_MENU MENUBEGIN  POPUP "&File"  BEGIN    MENUITEM "&New", ID_FILE_NEW    MENUITEM "&Open", ID_FILE_OPEN    MENUITEM "&Save", ID_FILE_SAVE    MENUITEM "Save &As", ID_FILE_SAVEAS    MENUITEM SEPARATOR    MENUITEM "E&xit", ID_FILE_EXIT  ENDEND 

ah, thank you... i figgered it was something silly like that, but i couldn''t find it in the win32 API docs

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
ah, here''s another quickie...
how would i put spacing in the menu at the top of the window?
you know, how some programs have the help menu all the way to the right, even though the other menus are left aligned.
hmm... wait a minute, it seems i can''t find an example of this in any programs on my computer... did i dream this? is it from an earlier version of windows? oh well... if anyone knows how to do this (if it is possible, i could have sworn i saw it somewhere) please tell me
gracias!

Don''t worry, I''ve seen it before too (but strangely, not recently. Hmmm...)

Anyway, a quick dip into MSDN reveals the following:
quote:

How to Right-Justify Menu Items in Windows 95

Last reviewed: September 29, 1995
Article ID: Q125675
The information in this article applies to:
  • Microsoft Win32 Application Programming Interface (API) included with:
    - Microsoft Windows 95 version 4.0

SUMMARY

In Windows 95, right-justify (right-align) a menu item by using the MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY type in MENUITEMINFOSTRUCTURE.

MORE INFORMATION

There is a new menu type in Windows 95, MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY type, which you can use to right justify a menu item. The Windows version 3.1 method of prefixing the string with "\a" or "\b" will no longer work.

To right justify a menu item in Windows 95:
  1. Get the menu handle of the original menu.

2. Get the original menu item information stored in the MENUITEMINFO structure.

3. Change the menu item type to include MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY by or''ing the original value with MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY.

4. Set the new menu item information.

For example, to create a right-justified menu item, add the following code to WM_CREATE:
   HMENU hMenu;   MENUITEMINFO  mii;   char szBuffer [80];   hMenu = GetMenu (hwnd);   // Get the original value of mii.fType first   // and OR that with MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY   mii.cbSize = sizeof (MENUITEMINFO);   mii.fMask = MIIM_TYPE;   mii.dwTypeData= szBuffer;   mii.cch   = sizeof (szBuffer);   GetMenuItemInfo(hMenu, 1, TRUE, &mii);   // OR in MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY type   mii.fMask = MIIM_TYPE;   mii.fType  = mii.fType | MFT_RIGHTJUSTIFY;   // Right justify the specified item and all those following it   SetMenuItemInfo(hMenu, 1, TRUE,   &mii);   return 0; 

MSDN rocks.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
ah, thank you.

To do it in the .rc file instead of at runtime try using the "HELP" qualifer on your POPUP line:

POPUP "&Help", HELP 

I don''t think Microsoft UI guidelines want you to the right-justified help menu thing anymore though. I always thought it was annoying anyway.

-Mike
-Mike
quote:Original post by Anon Mike
I don''t think Microsoft UI guidelines want you to the right-justified help menu thing anymore though. I always thought it was annoying anyway.

Well, when that start paying me instead of charging me for their products, I will care about their guidelines.
But thank you for the info!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement