Free FTP to use as update server?

Started by
1 comment, last by coppyhop 9 years, 5 months ago

I am currently making a game in UDK, Whenever I release an update to test, it's hard to deploy. So I am trying to make an updater in VB2010. So Far So good, but I need a place to host the files. Somewhere where the url is like http://www.namehere.freeftpservice.com/game_build_50.zip So that my program can download it when it detects an update. (As to detecting the update it downloads a .ini containing the latest version information and the launcher compares it against it's own information) How it will download the update is there is a sub I made called downloadGameVersion(int Version) and it downloads the zip based on the version you specified(so game_build_version.zip). So Dropbox isn't an option (it's ranodm jibberish urls, so is mediafire) So any suggestions would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Does it have to be FTP?

You can use just about any hosting provider if you are willing to use web downloads. Just have one page that contains the current version number and a link to the current version. It can be a very simple page, even just a json response with a number and a URL. The client can request the page. If the client version is less than the version in the page, you can use a web request (using whatever tools your language and libraries provide) to download and run the pointed-to file.

Can the client link to an XML containing a version and it's associated link? (Read the xml for the version, and get it's associated link?) I don't know XML though, Can it be done with an ini? I'm more comfortable with those.

Edit: The ini would be more like this, maybe store it in the same ini I store the latest version info in? So when it retrieves the ini containing the latest info, in it it contains the links to specific versions. Or maybe only the latest version's link to keep filesize down.

[LatestInfo]

LatestLauncherVersion:53

LatestGameVersion:5

[5]

ID=0.0.5

Link=http://www.dropbox.com/[file link]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement