Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JG16uk

Biological

Interesting question.

I personally think it''s both...

You cant be born with programming knowlage, thats just silly... however you CAN have a tendancy towards liking the right subjects, and having the proper personality that gravitates you towards software programming...

I think it also depends on how young you are when you discover computers/programming... About 6 years ago, at age 9, I bought an old XT compatible computer (for 15 bucks), and was facinated by some of the games on it (Commander Keen, and other CGA games) I also discovered GW-BASIC!!!

I remember sitting there for hours learning the in''s and out''s of this marvoulus program that let you make text based games! It was great... Now I''ve moved on to even more fantastic things (My current project is a 3D engine using DX8)

I think my lifestyle/personality fits well with programming, and makes it easier for me to get a hold on these things... but that''s not to say that someone with a good commitment and intellegence couldn''t do the same or better...

I''d say it''s more personal than a "yes or no" answer. Sometimes it''s one way, and some times its another.

-Lonely

P.S.

If my post seems incoherant or meandering, its cause its 5am, I''m sick, and a few days ago I was rejected by a girl I like...

Programming does require a knowledge of punctuation, though...

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts

JG16uk -

Yeh... not so much a girl magnet... though just because you''re a programmer doesn''t mean you can have other interests that make you attractive...

Arild Fines -

Since when? You learn your programming language, then it doesn''t matter wheather you can write or not... (assuming you can create designs and read them later)

-Lonely

I''d be interested in seeing how many programs were exposed to computers at an early age. I''ve been around them since I was 3.

Sadly, programming isn''t as much as a girl magnet I want... however, maybe there will be a girl programmer I meet one day and it will be a magnet for her (I can hope!) ;-)

Invader X
Invader''s Realm

Not nessacerily. I met a girl at camp this summer and we became really good friends(would have been more if we didn''t live 5 hours away). I see what you''re saying though. I''m just curios about the "popularity" of game programmers. Before I started programming an c++/directx, I used to talk to alot of "popular people" and alot of us became friends. But the more I started programming, the more they didn''t want to be seen with me and I picked up new friends. Now its been 2 years and alot of them respect me and I still talk to them like it was two years ago, and because of that, I get comments all the time such as "prep-wannabe". Just wonderin, but how is every else popularity wise...