which 3d file format to use...

Started by
10 comments, last by qingrui 22 years, 5 months ago
well, i shall use some 3d character animation in my program. i''ve made the animation with 3dsmax + CharacterSudio. but i got problem with exporting the animation. 3ds exporting drops the mesh animation. so what should i use, md2, md3, vrml or something else? thx in advance.
Advertisement

ASE
Don''t use ASE!
It will be too large, believe me!
A simple scene is 3-4mb in ASE, which is only ~60kb in .3ds for example.
Let''s have a look at www.codercorner.com/flexporter.

-- tSG --
-- tSG --
I''d go for quake3 md3. easy enough to get working and tons of models freely available for downloading, and look good with plenty of animation options.

get some models from
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/
(or make your own )

get model format conversion from
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/tutorials.html

get source from
http://lonerunner.cfxweb.net/

Use ASE to export. If you want you can use ASE.gz, simple to read using zlib. Convert it to your own format afterwards.
Don''t use md3, you''ll constrain yourself to data contained in the md3 file, ASE exports so much more info about your scene that can potentially be used by new 3D engines.
Hi,

I''ve got a fairly complex animated human-figure exported to ASE. What would be best to do now to eventually import it to OpenGL?

Should I load it directly from the ASE file or convert it to a different format before doing so? Is there code available to do these things simply?

Thanks much to anyone who helps out.

~ AoErat
ASE is fine to export because it exports alot of complex information but can still be parsed in a simple way.
You shouldn''t use it as a general purpose format though, it would just be to big and to slow to load. You should convert it to your own format instead.

- AH
i''ve taken a look into the ASE format.
yes, it gives me all the info, but not in a way as i expected. tho it''s simply, there''s still something i''m not quit sure with. maybe i need to see into the MaxAPI

i also tried md2. but tumbled on reading normal. i don''t know how to deal with the normal index of a byte type. and what''s more, since md2 packs coordinates into byte type, will there be distortion?

and i''ve just got a sample source to read md3. in fact, it''s a bit constrained to the quake style.

so i can''t make a decision yet.
I''m currently using OBJ (Alias|Wavefront) for my level data, I haven''t settled on a 3D model (for animation) format yet, as MD2''s are too limited, and MD3''s are too much work for my application...

It really depends on what you need exactly, like if you only need a static model data, I would recommend OBJ, but for animation, right now I would have to say MD2 (only because no other format is really as simple...)
Celeron ][ 566 @ 850256MB PC-100 CAS2 RAMDFI PA-61 Mainboard (250MB memory bandwidth sucks, it should be 500MB)ATI Radeon 32MB DDR LEWindows 98SE
Where I can find out more about MD2?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement